Redfoot plants for indoor enclosure

Katielynn

Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington NC
New Redfoot tortoise mom here!! I’m having trouble with humidity and just ordered an automatic mister with timer. I live in Wilmington NC and I am wanting to plant some plants in his enclosure but I’ve read not to buy any from Lowes/Homedepot where can I get safe plants for him? Also what bedding would I need to use? I currently use coconut fiber. Any help is appreciated! I’m so overwhelmed trying to get everything right!

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
Greetings.

Take a read here. It contains a ton of info. Enclosures, lighting, substrate, food & more.

➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-caresheet.172531/
Thank you for sending this over but now I’m even more overwhelmed. This has been the complete opposite of anything I have read so far and now I feel even more overwhelmed 😢. So this is saying coconut on bottom layer with mulch on top? My boy digs down. I’ve been told a UVB is absolutely necessary and I have purchased the T5 12%. I have a juvenile I was told by the guy at the pet store. He has a baking spot but was mainly hiding under the rock over the basking spot. Now in his larger enclosure he stays on the cooler end around 70 degrees with no lighting. I’m so lost

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
A viv. Is short for vivarium. That tortoise table won't hold enough humidity unless you have a very humid room. Humidity should be 80% or more btw. and the lights should be inside the enclosure if they are not that will create a chimney effect. It pulls the humidity up and out of the enclosure. You could also use a mini greenhouse or make your own. You can get plastic off of Amazon and make one out of that.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Thank you for sending this over but now I’m even more overwhelmed. This has been the complete opposite of anything I have read so far and now I feel even more overwhelmed 😢. So this is saying coconut on bottom layer with mulch on top? My boy digs down. I’ve been told a UVB is absolutely necessary and I have purchased the T5 12%. I have a juvenile I was told by the guy at the pet store. He has a baking spot but was mainly hiding under the rock over the basking spot. Now in his larger enclosure he stays on the cooler end around 70 degrees with no lighting. I’m so lost
Don't listen to the pet store people. They almost never know anything about tortoises and they are to embarrassed to say that! This is the only website you can trust. Google and YouTube are absolutely no help either.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
A viv. Is short for vivarium. That tortoise table won't hold enough humidity unless you have a very humid room. Humidity should be 80% or more btw. and the lights should be inside the enclosure if they are not that will create a chimney effect. It pulls the humidity up and out of the enclosure. You could also use a mini greenhouse or make your own. You can get plastic off of Amazon and make one out of that.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
Thank you so much for your help. This has been so much and I’ve spent so much $ and almost want to give up but I really don’t want to! What type of green house or making my own what would it look like? What kind of plastic and how would I hand the lights? Sorry for all the questions I’m just so lost and clueless on everything.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
Thank you so much for your help. This has been so much and I’ve spent so much $ and almost want to give up but I really don’t want to! What type of green house or making my own what would it look like? What kind of plastic and how would I hand the lights? Sorry for all the questions I’m just so lost and clueless on everything.
I’d like to add he will be inside only

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Don't worry. I was asking the same amount of questions and that is how I learned what I know. You can attach a wood piece on the inside of the enclosure so you Can attach a light on it. IMG_20220304_194844.jpgAnd I don't really remember the exact plastic I used so you'll have to browse for some. And I will try to come back with more pictures of some greenhouses.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
Don't worry. I was asking the same amount of questions and that is how I learned what I know. You can attach a wood piece on the inside of the enclosure so you Can attach a light on it. View attachment 341293And I don't really remember the exact plastic I used so you'll have to browse for some. And I will try to come back with more pictures of some greenhouses.
Thank you for your help!!

Unkapunka

Osage City
I have a yr. old redfoot. I have a plexiglass cover I cut a hole in for heat and my light is in the middle on a board. I have an african violet as one plant under the light. It's hard for plants to thrive with little light. Good luck and you will figure out all the stuff you need.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
You can easily take a large tank and put plexiglass on from and make a door with hinges. Although I don't know how to put the lights inside a tank.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
I have a yr. old redfoot. I have a plexiglass cover I cut a hole in for heat and my light is in the middle on a board. I have an african violet as one plant under the light. It's hard for plants to thrive with little light. Good luck and you will figure out all the stuff you need.
Thank you! Do you have any UVB lighting?