Redfoot plants

RFFanatic92

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa. FL
Hi, I'm pretty new to tortoises. Have done plenty of research, but still iffy on some plants.

I have an outdoor enclosure that needs plants. Besides hibiscous and spider plants, what are some good options? I plan on adding macho ferns too.

Here is my set up (not don with the top)87207573_906657546429864_8701553314484977664_o.jpg

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hi and welcome to the forum. Project looks like it is coming along well, nice work! What are you using for the top?

Mulberry
Hibiscus
African hibiscus
Blue hibiscus
Rose of Sharon
Rose (non thorny)
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard
Pothos
Wandering Jew
Aloe
Jade Plant
Spineless Prickly Pear Cactus

They will eat some of these to a nub no doubt. The first plant I put in mine was a fancy type of jade plant that I spent a fair sum on. It was intended as landscape decor (haha!). It was promptly noticed, sniffed, and eaten stalk and all.

Sedge Grass, Pothos, Spider Plant don't seem to be that appetizing to torts granting there is an abundance of other food, so those ones might stick around longer...and are hard to kill and would take being trampled better than most. A Yucca tree is a nice addition imo, and would do great in your climate no doubt.

RFFanatic92

Tampa. FL
Hi and welcome to the forum. Project looks like it is coming along well, nice work! What are you using for the top?

Mulberry
Hibiscus
African hibiscus
Blue hibiscus
Rose of Sharon
Rose (non thorny)
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard
Pothos
Wandering Jew
Aloe
Jade Plant
Spineless Prickly Pear Cactus

They will eat some of these to a nub no doubt. The first plant I put in mine was a fancy type of jade plant that I spent a fair sum on. It was intended as landscape decor (haha!). It was promptly noticed, sniffed, and eaten stalk and all.

Sedge Grass, Pothos, Spider Plant don't seem to be that appetizing to torts granting there is an abundance of other food, so those ones might stick around longer...and are hard to kill and would take being trampled better than most. A Yucca tree is a nice addition imo, and would do great in your climate no doubt.
Thank you! I'm using 2x4's and creating two sections where I could open from the sides. I'm using hardware cloth.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Elephant grass and spider plants, Lyriopi will grow very bushy outdoors here in Florida and quickly provide all of the cover and shade that your Redfoot would ever need.
They are also plants that Redfoot don't try to eat and can withstand trampling.