redfoot RNS update and question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Been soaking sick red foot in warm water like instructed and have her isolated and have temp at 84 and humidity 75 to 80 percent. She seems to be more alert and doing better. Its been 8 days since Our vet visit and giving her batril injections once a day under skin between neck and front let. She weighs about 2 lbs and dose says 2.27mg/ml and I have to give this to her for 20 days. (once a day).
I have got her to eat but she picks out soaked cat food and reptomin and strawberries from food. leaving behind escrole endive, spring mix, peppers mago raspberries papaya and even a few small pieces of banana. When I then basically puree everything together then she will not eat any of it. I wonder at what point should I quit offering her the puree mixture and let her pick out the cat food,reptomin and strawberries.
Also she seems constipated and has gone a few times in water when I am soaking her. And wonder if that is from her diet or can batril or vitiamin A shot vet gave her cause it.
sorry for such a long post
steve

M

Maggie Cummings

Baytril causes upset tummies and most torts stop eating. If she's picking out some I would encourage her to eat that for a while. You are lucky she's eating at all. Keep an eye on the spot where the vet injected the Vit A for the skin sloughing off. You shouldn't let them give Vit A injections as they can cause major skin problems in some torts. Good luck with her

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with the advice that Maggie has given you. I would add that it helps to set a sick tortoise up in a smaller, hospital habitat and increase the temperature overall to about 85 degrees. Also, the overdose of Vitamin A causes skin to slough off starting on the legs, but all over the tortoise, not just at the injection site.

Just continue to allow her to be a picky eater for now and give her some time. Frequent soaks will help too.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I unfortunately found out about the Vitamin A shot after it was given and someone replied to one of my posts and said one should never be given unless a test comes back that they are lacking Vitamin A
Shot was given in left front leg and so far I have not noticed anything different there or elsewhere on her skin. It has been 8 days and wonder how many days after vitamin A shot can effects show up??;

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Good news, I have been giving my red foot long warm soaks, some with baby carrots in water and some with gatorade. replaced her uvb bulb and have offered her many items, she would ignore everything that I offered her. She put her nose down to smell a night crawler a few days ago but walked away from it, I think the movement of it got her attention. I have just received an order of mazuri tortoise food soaked four pellets and offered it to her. she has ate all four and started eating on them within three minutes of setting them in front of her. It has been about 25 days since she has ate anything. I think that she might have ingested some of the baby carrots ,gatorade that i have soaked her in. I know we are not out of the woods yet but I was really thrilled to see her eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's good news, Steve! Its lookin' good that she's going to get better!

Status
Not open for further replies.