Redfoot substrate to keep humidity high

sintapiviti

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello All. I've just received my first red foot. He/She is around 11cm in length, around 1 year old according to the seller. I'm keeping it outdoor

I have question regarding substrate. I live in a tropical country and the temp is around 27-32 C. As I understand, this is perfect for RF. My concern however is humidity. Right now I have top soil mixed with coco coir and mist/spray them occasionally. This does keep humidity up but I'm concern of "over-misting" and shell rot, because the surface is almost always wet/damp when I do this. I read by adding cypress mulch on top, I can still maintain humidity while not keeping the surface wet all the the time. Is this the correct way to go?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I recommend that you switch to coco coir only, since most top soil contain harmful pesticides, toxic plants or fertilizers. Usually it is hard to know just what your top soil contains.

You could add cypress mulch or orchird bark (fir bark) on top of the substrate. But most importantly, instead of misting many redfoot keepers pour water into the corners of the enclosure and turn over the substrate if needed.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I use orchid bark only in my setup and it holds the humidity for months on end. I just pour hot water in the corners when needed.

sintapiviti

New Jersey
Thx for the reply. I forgot to mention that I have sphagnum moss also in there, and I just learned from this site that it's a no no. Kinda crazy since it's recommended in many sites/videos during my early research into RF.

So, I need to redo the substrate anyway because of this. I'll put coco coir only this time and the cypress mulch on top. Cypress mulch is very expensive compared to other type of substrate in my area. I read another alternative is orchid bark, but here all of them is pine bark, not fir bark, which I think is not good for tortoises

Just to clarify, in order increase humidity, I would just need pour some water in the corners, without removing the mulch beforehand? Any idea how much? I guess this will depend on enclosure size and the thickness of the coco coir
I recommend that you switch to coco coir only, since most top soil contain harmful pesticides, toxic plants or fertilizers. Usually it is hard to know just what your top soil contains.

You could add cypress mulch or orchird bark (fir bark) on top of the substrate. But most importantly, instead of misting many redfoot keepers pour water into the corners of the enclosure and turn over the substrate if needed.

sintapiviti

New Jersey
I use orchid bark only in my setup and it holds the humidity for months on end. I just pour hot water in the corners when needed.
Sadly the only orchid bark I can find here is of the pine bark type, which I believe is not good for tortoise. I don't know why some packaging of these even include photo and description that it's good for reptile

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Sadly the only orchid bark I can find here is of the pine bark type, which I believe is not good for tortoise. I don't know why some packaging of these even include photo and description that it's good for reptile
You are correct the pine is bad for the tortoise. I would stick with coco coir then, but still try and leave the top layer dry. Growing edible plants in the enclosure will also help with humidity. I gave Mojo a little snacking garden. I did use coco coir to plant the seeds in.20240729_131132.jpg

sintapiviti

New Jersey
You are correct the pine is bad for the tortoise. I would stick with coco coir then, but still try and leave the top layer dry. Growing edible plants in the enclosure will also help with humidity. I gave Mojo a little snacking garden. I did use coco coir to plant the seeds in.
Looks great. What plant are those? Did you grow them from seed? I haven't had much luck with live plants unfortunately. The best I've done is with the spider plant. My dandelion on the other hand, looks as if it's growing leaf as fast it drops them lol