Redfoots and Urates?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Just wondering if anybody knows why Redfoots don't produce Urates? Or do they? I've never seen any Urates produced from my Redfoots and I've been wondering why that is?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just wondering if anybody knows why Redfoots don't produce Urates? Or do they? I've never seen any Urates produced from my Redfoots and I've been wondering why that is?
I've never seen any either.
I think that Redfoot have a much more advanced digestive system. But that's just a guess.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Some species don't have to "hold" urine in case of drought...they would be less likely to sediment any appreciable amount of waste. I've never seen box turtle urates, but have heard of them on rare occasions (horrible containment conditions, not soaked/swum).

AgataP

Seattle, WA
My sulcata passed some for first few months of me owning him and for last 3 months nothing. There were days nothing and there would be a little one. But now zero.

Possibly we just care well for our torts ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My sulcata passed some for first few months of me owning him and for last 3 months nothing. There were days nothing and there would be a little one. But now zero.

Possibly we just care well for our torts ?
Some species are known to pass them. Some are not.
I find @ZenHerper s thoughts on this to make perfect sense.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Some species don't have to "hold" urine in case of drought...they would be less likely to sediment any appreciable amount of waste. I've never seen box turtle urates, but have heard of them on rare occasions (horrible containment conditions, not soaked/swum).
I never thought about that. That makes sense.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree with @ZenHerper I've not seen urates with the more forest species, but do with species from "drier" areas where they are forced to aestivate during times of heat / drier.

Never seen urates with Galapagos and Burmese Stars. Do see urates with Leopard, Sulcata, Desert, Pancake...

It does seem some that are "programmed" to hold water where concentrations can build up, will get used to good captive conditions where water is always available, and no hold water - always releasing and replenishing with fresh and thereby keep concentrations very low. While others will continue the habit of holding and dump and replenish less frequently even though water is available.