Redoing our leopard tortoise enclosure

ShellieinAK

Location (City and/or State)
Girdwood, AK
So as newbies we are learning the hard way. Initially bought a tort table, and learned it was the worst way to set up His/her home. So, now I’m looking at our options locally for a plastic enclosure. We live in Girdwood, Alaska. I’ve called around and all I can find is 0.25” ABS plastic in 4’x8’ sheets. Is this a viable option to build the enclosure with? Thanks in advance! We are basically redoing it following several of the plans we have found on here. Both my husband and I are pretty handy so feel confident we can tackle a custom build without a lot of difficulty.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't have any experience with this, but the guys on here have been using pvc to build. Others will be by to help you.

As for being handy, you're in Alaska! You have to be superbly handy to survive more than 10 minutes!! ?⛷⛸?❄⛄?

ShellieinAK

Girdwood, AK
Hello everyone, wanted to see if anyone else had a response to using ABS plastic instead of extended PVC. Thanks! See above for more details as to why!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
ABS sheets would work for a tortoise enclosure. It basically has the same properties we like of the expanded PVC sheets. However, it is normally quite a bit more expensive. It is a stiffer and more dense product and will weigh more, but it would be totally safe to use.

Have you tried looking at sign shops for the PVC sheets? It is most commonly used in making signs as it is very good at accepting paints and also cuts easily. Computerized jet cutters are used to cut any design into the sheet to make 3d signs. In some parts of the US Home depot carries expanded PVC sheets. Not sure it they do in AK.