Reeve's turtle

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
This is kind of an odd question and I understand if there is no standard answer..

I own a Reeve's turtle. I've had him since he was 13 grams - I've had him for over two years. I asked the man that bred him to show me pictures of his parents as well as asking how big they have gotten. They are over 30 years old and regularly breed. They are under 6". They are in Vancouver, British Columbia and I am in Edmonton, Alberta if that matters any. My turtle has surpassed them in size as he is currently measuring out at almost 6.5". He doesn't seem to be slowing down whatsoever. I weigh him weekly sometimes and always weigh him every two weeks and he seems to be 30-50 grams heavier with each weighing.. I was under the impression that they typically remain their parents' size.. I'm sure there are other factors that contribute to growth.. is there a good chance that he won't get much bigger or will he just continue to grow regardless? I understand that there may not necessarily be an answer but I'm wondering if those that have Reeve's themselves have noticed if there is a size they typically get to? I also want to point out that it doesn't matter to me how big he gets as I'm willing to house him regardless of his size. I'm willing to get whatever I need to facilitate him for the rest of his life. My oldest brother is keeping his 300 gallon tank so that once I am able, I can house him in there. I've owned bigger species of turtles so size is not an issue. I am just curious as to how big he could possibly get as I was under the impression that I was purchasing him because of how small he'd be. Thank you for your time and for any assistance that can be given. Turtle_0X2A2547-Edit.jpgTurtle_0X2A2583-Edit.jpg10557336_10152324574987753_5347472536732915413_n.jpg1412825355588.jpg1412825488348.jpg
The first, second and third picture were all taken on the same day at his photoshoot. The fourth is the first week that I had him (he was shedding like crazy) and the last is a picture of him (he's on the bottom) in the tank that I picked him from. 2015-04-11_21.56.23.jpg20150416_202508.jpg These two are older as well as he's much bigger now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
some will grow bigger some grow smaller it's all genetics. he will stop growing sooner or later. I've had this species for 27 years now they're great little turtles.

Randi

Canada
Thank you both for your replies. I have another question - this summer that's coming up - I plan on making two outdoor enclosures - one for my Red Foot and one for my Reeve's - these enclosures will only be used for three months out of the year as our weather isn't nice enough to keep them out longer.. should I microchip both of them? Where does the microchip get inserted? Does it hurt? Thanks again for any advice that can be given.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I'm 6'8" and my mother and father is/was only 5'3" and 5'8". Just saying...

From the look of your turtle, I am sure it can put on more weight. I wonder how much more length it might achieve. Most turtles' growth slows considerably towards the end, still growing for a long time after maturity, but at a much slower pace. If it hasn't slowed, even with things being accelerated by the great conditions you are obviously providing to this healthy turtle, then it should, in theory, have more growing to do. I guess time will tell.

Nice job on this turtle. It's a treat to see such an outwardly healthy specimen.

Randi

Canada
Haha, your first comment made me laugh. Very true.

I have attached pictures to this post. I took them a few minutes ago so you can see him as of this moment. I'm not sure if maybe he's a bit overweight? I don't mind it if he's larger then I thought he'd be. I will house him no matter how big he is.

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments. I purchased him as I felt bad for how he was being housed. He was with Golden Threads that were larger. All of the other hatchlings that were Reeve's were gone within days of being brought to the store. He was clearly being bullied. He was missing nails and had some indents on the side of his carapace where he had an injury. His front right foot was swollen as well. He was shedding like crazy. He continued to grow and shed for what seemed like forever. He's got a great disposition and I love him. Thanks again for your kind words. It's inspiring and provides me with reassurance knowing that he's healthy. This has made my night. :D

Sorry if the pictures aren't the greatest. It's dark here and he's not easy to hold with one hand. I will take better ones tomorrow as I have the day off.
2015-12-05_22.20.48.jpg 2015-12-05_22.19.44.jpg 2015-12-05_22.18.05.jpg

Randi

Canada
And to add.. it is only his carapace that is about 6.5". With his head and limbs, he's probably 8.5" or more. Anthony P, should I microchip him and my Cherry Head tortoise? They will both be living in enclosures outside this summer that's coming up and I'm just curious if it's something I should do? We have a fenced in yard and the enclosures will be locked - I don't anticipate any escapes but just in case someone steals them or I need to identify them in some weird situation, should I? Does it hurt them? Do you know where it is put? Thanks again for the advice. :)

turtlemanfla88

That is good size for Reeves . Can you take close up of the tail both angles from top and bottom.Did they tell you how old?. Because my males start turning melanistic all black the older they get.
I do not microchip any of my animals. I also have fences, a pit bull, guns, and my children and I both compete in Traditional Archery Touraments.

Randi

Canada
I got him Oct. 2013 and he was 13 grams. I assume that he was only alive for a month or two when I brought him home. He was really small so he had to have been a hatchling. He's now over two years old as of this October. I'm pretty sure that he's a male. I've noticed that he's getting darker and darker as he increases in size. I've attached pictures that I just took and hopefully the angles are what you needed. I hope the tail shots will suffice. Do you need one of his waist so you can see how concave he is or? Haha, looks like your torts and turtles will be safe. I love pit bulls - I'm jealous that you own one. Best dogs ever. :) thanks for all of your help.
2015-12-11_11.15.34.jpg 2015-12-11_11.14.59.jpg 2015-12-11_11.16.05.jpg 2015-12-11_11.14.18.jpg

turtlemanfla88

Yes it is a boy you can tell by the tail it is thick and the vent is further down the tail. I live in Florida so keep everyone outside most of the year. In the spring I would try to keep him outside in a secured pen. You could use a plastic kiddie pool from the dollar store and build a lid or top for it. I recommend 1/2 " wire 1/4 for babies or yearlings.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I have honestly never heard of anyone microchipping aquatics.. That might be a better question for a vet who does microchipping. I only keep Hermann's Tortoises outside, and I have never microchipped them. Everything else is kept inside my house year 'round.

I think your turtle looks great. Looks like he'd be nice and heavy, but in a good way.

Randi

Canada
Thank you for your replies.

I always thought he was male. His tail is really long and his cloaca is quite far down the tail. Thank you for confirming. He won't be outside until the start as summer as spring is not warm enough. We only have about 2 to 3 nice months out of the year and that's during summer. Even then, there are some summers where the weather is not nice. Right now it's snowing and cold. He will be outside whenever the weather permits, same with the tortoise. Thank you for the idea about the kiddie pool and wire. :D

In regards to microchipping - I am just worried that if he gets out or if someone takes him and I need to have proof that he's mine, I do, as well as having whoever finds him identified and returned to me (hopefully). I will contact the vet and ask about microchipping. Thank you for your kind words about him. I have had others tell me that he looks "chunky" or "fat" and I was just curious as to what experienced keepers would say. It's good to know that he's on the right track and is a good weight. I will just keep measuring and weighing and see how big he gets. I am glad that I could do my part in raising this beautiful specimen. :D

His name was Tiny as it was cute when he was small and I first got him. I named him Tiny as I didn't anticipate him being what he is currently size wise. I have had to change his name to Regelus (Little King). I still refer to him as Tiny to those that know him. It's kind of an ironic name now. Hahah.

Again, thank you both for your replies. :<3::tort: