Reeve's turtle tank size

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
What would be the ideal size of tank for a Reeve's turtle to live in for the rest of it's life? I am prepared to make it as big as necessary and probably even bigger as it would be more comfortable if there's as much space as possible. My brother currently has a 300 gallon tank for me (I will get the exact measurements), would this be adequate for him? If not, I have a tortoise that could have that tank. My turtle will have an outdoor enclosure but will only be out approximately 2 months out of the year so the indoor enclosure will be the most important. I plan to set this tank up in a few months and rather then spending money on a new one and having to wait until it is built, etc, I am wondering if this 300 gallon tank would suffice. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A 300 gallon tank is normally 8 feet by 2 or 2.5 feet depending upon the tank height which is usually either 2.5 or 2 feet. Either way - that should be plenty big for a reeves turtle.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
That would ABSOLUTELY suffice. And, since we are having the conversation, I should add that your turtle would be a real exception in that it would be one of the very few turtles to be in an aquarium that is much larger than necessary. Good for you, and your turtle.

Randi

Canada
Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if those dimensions would be accurate for this tank as it was custom built by my brother. I'll have to stop by at his place this week and measure it to get the exacts. He had two full grown female sliders living in it before so I have a feeling that it's larger then 300 gallons. I will measure it.

The reason I am choosing the size I am is because there aren't any limits on size in the wild and just because he lives in my house doesn't mean he has to be stuck in a tiny enclosure. I figure this tank would be roomy enough to live comfortably and I can have quite a few different areas within the tank, like an area of land to bask on rather then a floating island. I can also have actual logs in there. I figure if he's going to be in a tank for the majority of the time, it has to be comfortable. Thank you for your encouraging words as always. I want to be the best owner I can be. It will be a few months until it's finalized - have to get this tank apart and then into my house. Then I have to assemble it. I hope the stand comes with it or I'm going to have to weld one. Once set up, I will take pictures. Thanks for all of your help.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if those dimensions would be accurate for this tank as it was custom built by my brother. I'll have to stop by at his place this week and measure it to get the exacts. He had two full grown female sliders living in it before so I have a feeling that it's larger then 300 gallons. I will measure it.

The reason I am choosing the size I am is because there aren't any limits on size in the wild and just because he lives in my house doesn't mean he has to be stuck in a tiny enclosure. I figure this tank would be roomy enough to live comfortably and I can have quite a few different areas within the tank, like an area of land to bask on rather then a floating island. I can also have actual logs in there. I figure if he's going to be in a tank for the majority of the time, it has to be comfortable. Thank you for your encouraging words as always. I want to be the best owner I can be. It will be a few months until it's finalized - have to get this tank apart and then into my house. Then I have to assemble it. I hope the stand comes with it or I'm going to have to weld one. Once set up, I will take pictures. Thanks for all of your help.

Awesome of you! Did you ever get to set it up?