REHOMING SULCATA FEMALE

Digr

Location (City and/or State)
Paulden AZ
I’m in need of a tortoise loving individual or family to adopt my precious 5 year old AZ raised Sulcata, Bubba.
She’s in excellent health and responds to voice and gentle touch.
Thank you kindly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably NOT female. Can't be sexed yet. Too small.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
All small tortoises appear female until they reach a certain age and yours is probably too little still, so they all look female. Unfortunately most vets don’t know much about tortoises even those who focus on reptiles.

That said, neither here nor there, in terms of helping you find a home, unfortunately sulcatas are very common and lots of people have trouble keeping them after they are babies so it’s definitely hard.

I would recommend contacting a local Tortoise club and seeing if you have a tortoise rescue in your area to see if they can help. Possibly even contact your local shelters,

Just make sure you screen the potential new home very carefully so that you don’t get someone who either has no idea how to properly care for them or is just looking to make a quick buck by reselling…

Digr

Paulden AZ
Thank you for your informative reply. Bubba is not small at 50lb, maybe young but not small. And yes I know unfortunately Sulcatas are over bread worldwide for the $$.
I have just contacted a Phoenix based reptile/tortoise rescue & rehoming organization about Bubba. They only work in the Phoenix metro area from my understanding.
I will be very conscientious when interviewing prospective adoptive parents. My family claim I’m an eccentric when it comes to the care of my Bubba. So I will definitely scrutinize anyone interested in her. I don’t want to let her go, I’m so dismayed that I have to do this. I know my
God will help me find the right person.
Thanx again for your help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A vet told me she was. And her belly is flat.
If the vet was going by a flat belly, then for sure don't take his word for it. ALL tortoises, male AND female, have a flat belly until they grow bigger than yours is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oops! So Sorry!! Your picture of Bubba in your avatar doesn't do him justice size wise. I had no idea she's 50lbs! In that case, YES! a flat plastron DOES indicate female!!