Relief. Solid information!

LizzyLu

Location (City and/or State)
Katy, Texas
Grateful for the Tortoise Forum! I am heartily sick of the same graphics and misinformation that’s all over Facebook. I’ve been reading “The Redfoot Manual- A Beginner’s Guide to the Redfoot Tortoise” by Mike Pingleton. Anyone read it and have opinions to offer? He seems knowledgeable & I am always looking to improve my redfoot husbandry.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Grateful for the Tortoise Forum! I am heartily sick of the same graphics and misinformation that’s all over Facebook. I’ve been reading “The Redfoot Manual- A Beginner’s Guide to the Redfoot Tortoise” by Mike Pingleton. Anyone read it and have opinions to offer? He seems knowledgeable & I am always looking to improve my redfoot husbandry.
Welcome! @ZEROPILOT is one of our moderators and a red foot guru. Glad to have you aboard!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome
I'm sorry. But I'm not familiar with that book.
A pretty well known "expert" at that time helped me out a lot when I was just getting started decades ago when all we had WERE books.
Mr. Ernest Johnson suggested that Redfoot should eat up to 60% fruit, etc. And mentioned the extreme importance of humidity with Redfoot. All way ahead of his time.
So much more accurate than anything else I read.
Much of what I did was from what I read. And luckily, most of that was actually correct! And that's pretty amazing when you stop and consider how much we've learned in just the last decade and since this forum existed. The rest I learned the hard way. My tortoises and I paid the price for that.
I strongly suggest that you treat most tortoise books now as relics. They are mostly outdated and still full of the same old, wrong information.
We simply didn't know any better. It was all trial and error.
This forum is updated every day with up to the minute information. We share our actual experiences and share them right away.
This can and probably should be your only source of information. And that will include your input as you learn helpful things that you too can contribute to help out future tortoise keepers.
In this case. REDFOOT.
Who knows who the next Ernest Johnson will be or for whom.
He's currently on YOUTUBE.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Mike Pingleton- the author of the book I mentioned... It’s not an old edition and seems up to date to me. I’m no expert, but I am also not exactly a beginner. Just a life-long learner always looking for experienced based data. :)
Hello ? I felt the same way when I joined TFO. Id actually stopped looking for a place to talk tort but became desperate one night and tried again. I stumbled on this site and haven't left.?

Gamtauru

Pottstown, Pa
@LizzyLu Welcome to the forum. I just got a Redfoot recently. Ernest Johnson that @ZEROPILOT mentioned has a youtube channel, website, and a Udemy course for Redfoots. I was looking at Mike Pingleton's book on Amazon and think I might get for any additional information it might provide.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
@LizzyLu Welcome to the forum. I just got a Redfoot recently. Ernest Johnson that @ZEROPILOT mentioned has a youtube channel, website, and a Udemy course for Redfoots. I was looking at Mike Pingleton's book on Amazon and think I might get for any additional information it might provide.
Wouldn't it be neat if TFO came out with a book of care sheets on the various torts?!!!! Of course that can't replace the website and interaction here but if they ever do I'd buy it. I like having a book on my animals.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wouldn't it be neat if TFO came out with a book of care sheets on the various torts?!!!! Of course that can't replace the website and interaction here but if they ever do I'd buy it. I like having a book on my animals.
That would indeed be great! I think maybe we have reached a stage now with knowledge, that can vouch for certain basic correct information on a particular species, regardless of the passage of time (for the next 30 years anyway???). Therefore a book of caresheets would be good for a while, and maybe forever in some cases. Plus, updates could always be posted for any changes and additions that may be necessary.