Renaissance Faire

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Was sad to see "turtle races" at the Renaissance Faire today. There were about 15-20 turtles, I think all box turtles all crammed together. in a space around 15' x 5' if that. I went to look (to see if what they had) and they guy was like "they are all rescues from the side of the road," so I"m like "oh you stole them nature then?" and besides about half were eastern box turtles so I don't think were wandering the roads much around here. Anyway the guy was just working the booth, he didn't really know about them. One had a missing foot. I couldn't stomach to look further....

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Also, if they were box turtles they were all different kinds. There were a few eastern box turtles, but lots of other things all together but abut the same size...

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
its just temporary holding pen. i dont see a problem as long as they provide shade, food and water. (15x5 is way better then some pet stores or reptile shows) and its impossible to "rescue" them from the road here in Los angels because they are not native species.
are they racing them with hares ? ;);)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
its just temporary holding pen. i dont see a problem as long as they provide shade, food and water. (15x5 is way better then some pet stores or reptile shows) and its impossible to "rescue" them from the road here in Los angels because they are not native species.
are they racing them with hares ? ;);)
It was a temporary holding pen, but it was a lot of different species (one was definitely not a box turtle but I don't know enough to have IDed it). I am sure they get treated better than a lot of other horrendous places, but that doesn't make it good...