replant dwarf mulberry pot size

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
I'll be getting a dwarf mulberry soon. I don't want to plant it to the ground as we will move to a different house in 2 yrs or less and trying to dig it out might not be safe for the plant, and would probably be very hard to do. So i want to replant it shortly after getting it, into a new pot. Anyone who has experience with these trees, especially the dwarf variety, how big should the pot be? Should I just get a pot that's much bigger than the 11/15cm wide pot that it comes in?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, Get urself a nice large (plastic) pot & plant it up. I have lots of fig trees planted like this & even some nice banana trees growing like that.

leoturt

Western Canada
Yep, Get urself a nice large (plastic) pot & plant it up. I have lots of fig trees planted like this & even some nice banana trees growing like that.
Should it be like a super wide pot?

Where do you place your fig tree pots? I'm worried I'd have to keep moving my mulberry pot under a roof everytime it's going to rain if I recently watered it. I already do this with my hibiscus plants if it's going to rain or is raining and I watered the recently. Pretty annoying. What do people do about this or do to avoid having to move their potted plants in and out like this? The problem with mine is that being under the roof doesn't get them enough sunlight.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Should it be like a super wide pot?

Where do you place your fig tree pots? I'm worried I'd have to keep moving my mulberry pot under a roof everytime it's going to rain if I recently watered it. I already do this with my hibiscus plants if it's going to rain or is raining and I watered the recently. Pretty annoying. What do people do about this or do to avoid having to move their potted plants in and out like this? The problem with mine is that being under the roof doesn't get them enough sunlight.

Greetings. I’m wondering why you are wanting to move them out of the rain? I water all of my potted plants every few days. If we get a good rainstorm, obviously I wait a few days, then keep watering. I don’t move them out of the rain.

Liggysasha

Cape Coral
I have a mulberry tree in a pot too and it's doing really well.

I wouldn't worry about moving the pots (the hibiscus or mulberry) when it rains. Just make sure the pots have drainage holes in the bottom so excess water can escape. If you get a plastic pot without holes, it's very easy to drill some holes in the bottom.

Remember that hibiscus grow very well in Florida where we get a LOT of rain for days on end!

leoturt

Western Canada
Greetings. I’m wondering why you are wanting to move them out of the rain? I water all of my potted plants every few days. If we get a good rainstorm, obviously I wait a few days, then keep watering. I don’t move them out of the rain.
@Liggysasha
I also have spineless opuntia out in pots.

So I don't need to move them either if it rains soon after I water them?

All my pots have drainage holes.

I just thought that if it rains, especially for a long period of time,after I recently watered my plants, it would help encourage root rot since the soil would stay wet for much longer. And they all have saucers under the pots.

leoturt

Western Canada
Well,anyways, I'll stop moving my plants if it's going to rain. It obviously sounds like you guys are right. Feeling quite relieved now ?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
If you're concerned about your potted plants having wet feet, you can raise up the bottom of the pot so it doesn't rest directly on the saucer. Think pea gravel or river rock, or even pot feet...IF that's an issue.

Otherwise, just make sure your plants that need sun are getting enough sun. That will help the pots dry out. Even cacti can handle a wet season as long as the drainage is good and the sun is available. However, once it gets cold, you will have to pay closer attention and make some adjustments to ensure your plants don't get stuck being cold and wet for too long. Warm and wet is good for growth.

leoturt

Western Canada
I have a mulberry tree in a pot too and it's doing really well.

I wouldn't worry about moving the pots (the hibiscus or mulberry) when it rains. Just make sure the pots have drainage holes in the bottom so excess water can escape. If you get a plastic pot without holes, it's very easy to drill some holes in the bottom.

Remember that hibiscus grow very well in Florida where we get a LOT of rain for days on end!
do you have saucers under your pots? If I don't use saucers, that means the nutrients from the soil escape right?

leoturt

Western Canada
if it rains for like several days in a row and i have my cactus out, should i move them under a roof? even if they have drain holes and easy draining soil?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
do you have saucers under your pots? If I don't use saucers, that means the nutrients from the soil escape right?
Any time a potted plant gets watered (from the top), some of nutrients are going to wash through the drainage holes along with the water. The potting medium will eventually break down, and some of that (small amounts) will wash through too. It's a normal process, but that's why potted plants eventually need more fertilizer or other nutrients, and sometimes need fresh potting medium even if they have not outgrown their current pots.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
if it rains for like several days in a row and i have my cactus out, should i move them under a roof? even if they have drain holes and easy draining soil?
If it's warm and your cactus is currently getting direct sun, don't worry about bringing it under a roof until the season changes. The warmth, sun, and rain will normally help the cactus grow.

leoturt

Western Canada
How many gallons do you recommend the pot for my dwarf mulberry tree to be? I want it to grow as big as possible for being in a pot. Can't plant it in the ground. I've seen pots like 50-60+ gallons I could buy, though not sure if that's big enough for the root system to grow lots.