Reptile Show Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Has anyone purchased tortoises from a Reptile Show? Do the shows sell adult tortoises? Would you trust buying from a Reptile Show? What are everyones' thoughts?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I've never purchased a tortoise from a show but you can usually find adults and juveniles/hatchlings. It will depend on what species you are looking for...

S

Scooter

I purchased my adult Home's hinge-back from a show. The shows I have been too tend to have have more hatchling and juvenile torts, though you can find some adults. It just depends on what breeders are there. There are usually well known breeders there and not so well known you just have to do some research on them. If they seem shading don't buy from them, and always get contact info from anyone you buy from so you can contact them later if needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, you have a better chance of getting a healthy tortoise when you buy at a show because you can pick and choose and give the tortoise a good all over inspection. Also, be sure to get the seller's business card, and maybe even some sort of written guarantee that the animal is healthy.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have attended many shows over the last 20 years and have been a vendor as well. In my experience, the smaller shows tend to have more wholesalers than breeders. I can say that I am one of only a handful of breeders that sells at the local "swaps". Most babies I see available are being sold by someone other than the breeder and they are usually being sold along with wild caught critters as well. Who knows how they are being kept at the wholesaler's facility/home. I know of one Good guy wholesaler who attends the swaps near me. He takes excellent care of his animals and has some of the best quality around. I have bought things from him in the past and will continue to do so. He seems to be the exception rather than the norm though. You just have to be careful and look at how the animals are being housed and such. What do the sellers know about them if they aren't the breeder? Ask lots of questions before you purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.