RES Ate Sewing Thread/String?

Snaps

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I have a 3-inch width red eared slider turtle. I had used roughly 6-8 inches of thread to tie down a water plant so it could wrap its roots around and grow. Came home to find the plant chewed and floating, the thread gone.

It was sewing thread so it was thin, but it did have at least a couple knots in it, making for some loops (as opposed to just a simple thin string). I can't be sure how it was eaten, in more or less whole or in pieces.

Any advice?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I have a 3-inch width red eared slider turtle. I had used roughly 6-8 inches of thread to tie down a water plant so it could wrap its roots around and grow. Came home to find the plant chewed and floating, the thread gone.

It was sewing thread so it was thin, but it did have at least a couple knots in it, making for some loops (as opposed to just a simple thin string). I can't be sure how it was eaten, in more or less whole or in pieces.

Any advice?

It probably isn't a major issue, but just pay extra close attention for the next few days. You came here to ask the question, so it's obvious how much you care. :) Unless there's thread hanging out one end of the turtle or the other, there's not much you can or should do right now. Other than double check and make sure there isn't anything else similar in the tank for the turtle to swallow accidentally.

It wasn't monofilament thread (fishing line), was it?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Any advice?
With any luck, it'll pass on through. Really not much to do but keep an eye on him. :)
And welcome to the forum, by the way.

Since this is a holiday weekend, people may not be on here as much as usual, so even though I know you're worried, just check back and I bet over the next few days, other people will speak up with their ideas and experiences.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just.keep an eye on it , it should pass with no problems.

Snaps

Wisconsin
Thank you all very much for your input. I'm feeling a bit better. I will definitely keep an eye on him and check on this thread.

It wasn't monofilament thread (fishing line), was it?

No, definitely not fishing line. It came off a thread spool in a sewing kit.

It was just the one string for the one plant to see how he would like it. I guess he liked it a little too much.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He didn't like it, RES are dumb ( I say that with love had a pond full of them for 30 years) they eat anything or try to eat everything.