How much each day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianTheGirl

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I have a baby red eared slider, about an inch and a half. I've been researching a lot and I have found most places say to feed my baby each day, but not HOW MUCH I should be feeding it. I have green pellets, mini krill and mini shrimp, but I'm not sure how many pieces I should be giving it. I'm looking for a rough estimate.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Joliet,IL
Kind of play it by ear, within 2-4 mind however much they will eat should give.you your amount, just be.sure to remove and excess food :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would probably feed no more than 10 pellets ( the small ones) a day, but if he eats that many and still looks hungry a few more won't hurt, Just go by ear for now, see how much he will eat in a siting.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Are u feeding him reptomin or Zoomed hatchling formula? Because if your feeding him reptomin don't I heard it was garbage like the equivalent of feeding a human fast food every day. And yes I would say enough that's about the size of it's head.

You can also get freeze dried meal worms which they LOVE.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
DanaLachney said:
Are u feeding him reptomin or Zoomed hatchling formula? Because if your feeding him reptomin don't I heard it was garbage like the equivalent of feeding a human fast food every day. And yes I would say enough that's about the size of it's head.

You can also get freeze dried meal worms which they LOVE.

Reptomin is fine for growing RES. But as the turtle gets older, yes, the high protein levels makes it a pellet to feed in moderation.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
Reptomin is fine for growing RES. But as the turtle gets older, yes, the high protein levels makes it a pellet to feed in moderation.

I just heard it makes them grow too fast is all and causes MBD

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
DanaLachney said:
tortoises101 said:

It's just the high protein levels of the pellet. As the turtles gets older feed it increasingly less Reptomin (some keepers choose to omit it entirely) and you'll be fine.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
tortoises101 said:
DanaLachney said:
tortoises101 said:

It's just the high protein levels of the pellet. As the turtles gets older feed it increasingly less Reptomin (some keepers choose to omit it entirely) and you'll be fine.

I never knew that about repto min. Thanks for that info :D

Status
Not open for further replies.