Rescue Tortoise With Possible Health Issues?

alex999

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I know you have been provided lots of nutritional & lighting help. Just curious how often you have been soaking?

I got him just on Sunday, I soaked him yesterday (Monday) and plan to do so again today. He won’t/can’t drink otherwise.

alex999

Idaho
Good spot @Maro2Bear

The eyes are very swollen. This is most likely caused by a compact UVB bulb. If you have one it needs to be replaced with a fluorescent tube UVB asap.
Okay thank you, like this one?
I just checked and the uvb light I have up has a fluorescent tube already.. is there a chance this is from previous owner?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Big changes are stressful times for torts. It is very early days for this guy, be mindful that you wont see this torts normal behaviour for a few days to a couple weeks. It is best to keep handling to a minimum in that time, let it get used to its enclosure. Obviously some handling is required for care reasons.

It might just be me, but I think the tort looks overweight, hes bulging a bit out of his shell there. His shell does not look too bad, not as bad as I would expect a tort with MBD to look like. I think the best advice so far is to get it to an experienced tort vet, there are a few things you will want to check.

alex999

Idaho
Okay update- he’s moving around a little more this morning, but still not walking. We got reptivitamin and changed his light and are giving him daily soaks as well as scheduling an appointment with a vet

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
It sounds like you are doing much better than the previous owners (obviously). Just make sure the vet knows how to deal with reptiles. Many will just say they do