Rescued a box turtle

MattKeith

Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia USA
so I found this little guy crossing traffic today. He made it across 2 lanes with 2 more to go and apparently got clipped by a car. I scooped him up and took him straight to the animal hospital. I noticed blood on my hand so I flipped him over and his bottom plate is cracked on the side and a lil road rashed but he's still very much alive.
The vet checked his legs and they all are working fine. Still has a very strong jaw grip that was checked with a tongue depressor. I was told to take him home and watch for a couple days to see if he gets worse or better. I would love to keep him as a pet but will probably release him when he gets better.
Any advice on what to and not to do would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Berkeley

Here in Georgia it is illegal to keep a box turtle without a Wildlife Exhibition Permit from the DNR. You will need to release it- you can't keep it as a pet.

It is banged up, but give it a good rub down with some neosporin and take it back to the spot where you found it. Turtles have remarkable healing powers, and with some good rest over the winter, the shell will start to heal up.
--Berkeley

MattKeith

South Georgia USA
I found him in the middle of town, very busy place no where near any forest. I couldn't put him back in the hood. A pitbull would get him if another car didn't. Should I just release him near my house where there's not near as many roads and cars and people?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
so I found this little guy crossing traffic today. He made it across 2 lanes with 2 more to go and apparently got clipped by a car. I scooped him up and took him straight to the animal hospital. I noticed blood on my hand so I flipped him over and his bottom plate is cracked on the side and a lil road rashed but he's still very much alive.
The vet checked his legs and they all are working fine. Still has a very strong jaw grip that was checked with a tongue depressor. I was told to take him home and watch for a couple days to see if he gets worse or better. I would love to keep him as a pet but will probably release him when he gets better.
Any advice on what to and not to do would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!
WOW!!! You are such a GREAT person for rescuing this little guy!!! :) :)
...and such a beauty, too- :)

Vynindis

West Virginia
How much do you remember of where he was? If you remember the direction he was going across the road, take him that direction until you feel he's in a place where he can make his way on his own. They'll usually head the same direction (box turtles are awesome at this, they know their area and are very stubborn about where they're going). If there is no safe place in that area then I'd keep him.

Others may disagree with that but if you can't release him there, you can't release him. If you do it near your house, he'll just wander looking for his place until he dies. These guys live in a little area and are bonded to that place for their entire (huge) lifespan. He'll look for that area or die trying to get there. As I'm sure most here know, you can't just release a box turtle in some random spot. That just will not do.

You did a great thing rescuing this little guy. With a heart like that, I think you'd do good by him if you end up keeping him. Just educate the bajeezus out of yourself, they're not easy or even what I'd call pets. They need a certain commitment to thrive in captivity. That's why in most states you need a license (I just got mine here in WV after rescuing two Eastern Box Turtles back in June) to keep them.

EDIT: And just take that for whatever it's worth. I've only owned turtles since June, like I said, and just got my license to keep my Easterns legally. There are those here that know WAY more than me. That's how I got help and got educated about how to keep these guys healthy. This forum is a godsend for any inexperienced person who wants to do right by a turtle that needs it.

Oh and if you can't keep it or don't have the time, call your local reptile rescues (none in my area so I just had to learn and get my license) if you have one and they'll take him in and take care of him.

Berkeley

I found him in the middle of town, very busy place no where near any forest. I couldn't put him back in the hood. A pitbull would get him if another car didn't. Should I just release him near my house where there's not near as many roads and cars and people?

I understand your line of thinking with this, but that turtle is an adult which means it has lived in that place for at least 25 years, perhaps even longer. Box turtles have a home range about the size of two football fields, and that is the territory that they know like we know the back of our hands. So it has successfully navigated (up until now) the roads and people and pets. As Vynindis said above, if you release it elsewhere, it will just try to go back to the area it knows and it WILL get hit by a car trying to cross unfamiliar roads that it is not accustomed to.

Box turtles don't have to have forest to survive. They do just fine in overgrown lots or even parks. I hate to sound harsh, but please take it back to where it was picked up.
--Berkeley

MattKeith

South Georgia USA
Ok I'm taking him back. After looking at Google earth I see that there are empty lots in both sides of the road where I found him. Ill just put him in the one he was headed to and hope for the best.
This is tough for me because I know if he is with me he won't be roadkill but I can't stand taking him out of the wild.

It's been well over a year I've been wanting a tortoise or land turtle. Hell I already have a tortoise table started just not complete yet.

I'm not gonna lie I want to keep this guy but I'll just doctor him up the best I can and return him, work on the tort table some more and maybe I can find one of my own soon.
Thanks for all the input and info guys I really appreciate it.

-Matt

Berkeley

Good on ya, Matt. It is tough to do, believe me, but you are doing the right thing.
Keep working on that tortoise table! It's motivation!

PM sent.
--Berkeley