Rescued Sick Box Turtle

atticusboxie

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I joined because I'm not sure what to do.

I found a box turtle on craigslist who was in bad shape from his pictures. Former owner said he'd been mauled by their dog about two months ago and he has some shell damage, but it does all appear to be healing okay.

However, his appetite has been very poor and he seems to have an aural abscess.

I was told he was captive bred, but I was also told that he was healthy and eating well, so I don't think I can really trust the former owner's word.

I have been trying to find a local vet that will see him, but apparently the close vet that used to do exotics has stopped seeing exotics.

Additionally, I have discovered that it's actually not legal to own a Box Turtle in Georgia, even if it is captive bred? Can I even take this animal to the vet then? What can I do for him? Should he be surrendered to a sanctuary or something? I have no idea where to go from here, but I don't want him to end up euthanized because of a treatable abscess. He is still bright, alert, strong, and soaks himself regulary, so his health is not yet that poor.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Georgia is a tricky state to try and help in. lol

OK...so aural abscesses in turtles that are stopping them eating should be surgically addressed. The pus is like a hard cheese curd and not likely to be absorbed by the body.

I'm not sure of the vet'ry position there (in many states they will see an "illegal" animal because their mandate is to provide care...not sure what the legal relationship in GA is, if they have to be licensed to work with restricted species, etc.).

You might be best contacting a licensed recue/rehab organization:

Explain that someone gave you an abscessed BT that is not eating, and has been held in captivity its entire life. They may have room in an educational program for it once it has recovered.

Seems to me this is a listing in Georgia -- there are several veterinary names under Reptiles:

You may have to make a number of calls to find the right resource for your situation, but persist.

G'luck,

atticusboxie

Georgia
Georgia is a tricky state to try and help in. lol

OK...so aural abscesses in turtles that are stopping them eating should be surgically addressed. The pus is like a hard cheese curd and not likely to be absorbed by the body.

I'm not sure of the vet'ry position there (in many states they will see an "illegal" animal because their mandate is to provide care...not sure what the legal relationship in GA is, if they have to be licensed to work with restricted species, etc.).

You might be best contacting a licensed recue/rehab organization:

Explain that someone gave you an abscessed BT that is not eating, and has been held in captivity its entire life. They may have room in an educational program for it once it has recovered.

Seems to me this is a listing in Georgia -- there are several veterinary names under Reptiles:

You may have to make a number of calls to find the right resource for your situation, but persist.

G'luck,
Thank you for the resources. I will do what's best for him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Yvonne G any advice on the absess for this person?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I joined because I'm not sure what to do.

I found a box turtle on craigslist who was in bad shape from his pictures. Former owner said he'd been mauled by their dog about two months ago and he has some shell damage, but it does all appear to be healing okay.

However, his appetite has been very poor and he seems to have an aural abscess.

I was told he was captive bred, but I was also told that he was healthy and eating well, so I don't think I can really trust the former owner's word.

I have been trying to find a local vet that will see him, but apparently the close vet that used to do exotics has stopped seeing exotics.

Additionally, I have discovered that it's actually not legal to own a Box Turtle in Georgia, even if it is captive bred? Can I even take this animal to the vet then? What can I do for him? Should he be surrendered to a sanctuary or something? I have no idea where to go from here, but I don't want him to end up euthanized because of a treatable abscess. He is still bright, alert, strong, and soaks himself regulary, so his health is not yet that poor.
Not sure where in GA you are located, but the UGA Veterinary Teaching Hospital (at the UGA Vet School) in Athens is very good. You could try calling there and asking for an appointment in the Exotics Department to have the turtle checked out. They might also be able to help you get permission to keep it legally or find a place which could take it.

Phone numbers for appointments are: 706-542-2895 or 800-542-9294

General Information number is: 706-542-3221

zovick

10 Year Member!

atticusboxie

Georgia
His appointment is for Tuesday. Fingers crossed that he does well!

I will let you guys know how it goes as I don't see this vet on our turtle/tortoise vet list here on the forum, but his receptionist said he has other turtle/tort patients.

atticusboxie

Georgia
Alright, Atticus had his surgery yesterday. He was prescribed no antibiotics. I just have to irrigate the wound once or twice a day with an antiseptic the vet provided me with.

I skipped his soak last night, because I didn't want to add further stress on him after his operation, and he was really sleepy.

He's back to being alert again now, but still not eating.

Does anyone have any idea how long after an aural abscess surgery it might take for him to begin eating again? He was not eating already prior to the surgery.

Do I need to attempt to force feed him something at this point, or leave him be?

How long can I continue to do his carrot baby food baths? Do I need to stop this at some point to avoid too much vitamin A?

Should I skip soaks entirely after surgery? He is still self soaking in a very shallow pan that only covers the bottom of his shell and is really too shallow to get up around his neck where his wound is.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It takes a while for reptiles to do anything -- including recover from sedation and surgery. Soaking helps the kidneys get the anesthetic and any swallowed/absorbed antiseptic out of the body.

You can change up what you add to the soak water...baby food fruits, veggies, chicken (make sure the label does not list "onion" or "spices" in any meat varieties).

Imagine if you had a giant lump surgically removed from your ear canal...your jaw and chewing muscles are right there. The infection, inflammation, surgical rummaging around, and healing process combined makes it pretty painful.

Continue his daily routine, including offering a small serving of his favorites. Adjust his habitat temperatures so that his immune system and healing conditions are optimized...78-80*F ambient day and night along with an 85-87*F basking zone. Wet the substrate thoroughly so his skin stays hydrated (say about 1/4 inch of top stays dry).

Let us know how things come along.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Alright, Atticus had his surgery yesterday. He was prescribed no antibiotics. I just have to irrigate the wound once or twice a day with an antiseptic the vet provided me with.

I skipped his soak last night, because I didn't want to add further stress on him after his operation, and he was really sleepy.

He's back to being alert again now, but still not eating.

Does anyone have any idea how long after an aural abscess surgery it might take for him to begin eating again? He was not eating already prior to the surgery.

Do I need to attempt to force feed him something at this point, or leave him be?

How long can I continue to do his carrot baby food baths? Do I need to stop this at some point to avoid too much vitamin A?

Should I skip soaks entirely after surgery? He is still self soaking in a very shallow pan that only covers the bottom of his shell and is really too shallow to get up around his neck where his wound is.
It's certainly positive that he survived the surgery & is starting to recover. Sending you good vibes. I hope recovery continues!!

atticusboxie

Georgia
It takes a while for reptiles to do anything -- including recover from sedation and surgery. Soaking helps the kidneys get the anesthetic and any swallowed/absorbed antiseptic out of the body.

You can change up what you add to the soak water...baby food fruits, veggies, chicken (make sure the label does not list "onion" or "spices" in any meat varieties).

Imagine if you had a giant lump surgically removed from your ear canal...your jaw and chewing muscles are right there. The infection, inflammation, surgical rummaging around, and healing process combined makes it pretty painful.

Continue his daily routine, including offering a small serving of his favorites. Adjust his habitat temperatures so that his immune system and healing conditions are optimized...78-80*F ambient day and night along with an 85-87*F basking zone. Wet the substrate thoroughly so his skin stays hydrated (say about 1/4 inch of top stays dry).

Let us know how things come along.
Alright, thank you. I will try some different flavors of baby food for him :)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Well done!

lol Greens are not their favorite...depends on if they hatched in a forest or a field, I'm guessing. Or, certainly, if they were not taught to eat them as captive hatchlings.

If you can find clover flowers, and/or chicory and dandelion flowers, that works as a near-substitute.

Chicken is an OK protein, but not great. He also needs calcium to balance all the phosphorous in fruit. Try boiled egg (shell on -- cool and roll on a countertop to pre-crush the shell) and, of course, good old nightcrawler earthworms.

atticusboxie

Georgia
Well done!

lol Greens are not their favorite...depends on if they hatched in a forest or a field, I'm guessing. Or, certainly, if they were not taught to eat them as captive hatchlings.

If you can find clover flowers, and/or chicory and dandelion flowers, that works as a near-substitute.

Chicken is an OK protein, but not great. He also needs calcium to balance all the phosphorous in fruit. Try boiled egg (shell on -- cool and roll on a countertop to pre-crush the shell) and, of course, good old nightcrawler earthworms.
I have also been giving him calcium powder too. He's only crazy about certain fruits. He likes strawberry and banana, but he said no to peaches and blackberries. I will boil him an egg soon and try that on him. :) I might be able to find some clover flowers in the yard too. I tried a Hibiscus flower on him and he didn't want it either.

I was told he was a captive bred and raised hatchling, but I don't know if I can trust that at all. You never know with craigslist. He seems to eat mostly meat and veggies, like carrot puree and squash.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mushrooms seem to be a favorite of most Boxes too.
I have also been giving him calcium powder too. He's only crazy about certain fruits. He likes strawberry and banana, but he said no to peaches and blackberries. I will boil him an egg soon and try that on him. :) I might be able to find some clover flowers in the yard too. I tried a Hibiscus flower on him and he didn't want it either.

I was told he was a captive bred and raised hatchling, but I don't know if I can trust that at all. You never know with craigslist. He seems to eat mostly meat and veggies, like carrot puree and squash.