Rescued box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I picked up a three toed box turtle yesterday from craigslist. Poor thing was in a dry aquarium with a substrate of rocks and hay - no water - not even in a bowl! The light consisted of a small bulb - like you put in ceiling fan lights. The poor thing is swollen and yellow looking. The lines between the scutes are bone white. I gave him a good soak and a little bit of banana to eat. Do you think the yellow skin is caused from lack of sunlight (like jaundice?) Any ideas why the lines between the scutes are white?

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
I will let the more experienced answer the questions, but I will say I am so happy he is with you now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can we see pictures? The white is just because he'n not been out in the elements. It will darken up now with better care.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Well good luck to you and good for you and with proper housing and diet and lighting he will do fine :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm so glad that you were there to rescue the little boxie. I'm looking forward to pictures of him. :)

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Is the turtle taking to the water?

Can you get worms by chance? Night crawlers are sold at fish bait shops. I do not know a box turtle that would turn down a worm. Anyway is it eating anything?

Is the white stuff on the shell in any other places? A picture would help. I just got one from a pet store -- one that had a white fungus. I went to a vet and she showed me how to wash and lightly brush her shell with some medicine... If you share a picture I may be able to see if it's a similar situation. So glad you have rescued this lucky turtle :) !

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I just rescued a box a few weeks ago from a similar situation.

Glad you gave him a good home. I dumped worms in with mine and also added a ton of slugs from the garden. The only veggie I have gotten him to eat is a few bites of mushroom so far.

let us know how his progress goes! good luck

M

Maggie Cummings

Like Mandi I would recommend dumping a load of night crawlers, slugs and mealworms in with it. Keep the soil wet and make a pool for him to soak in if you can...box turtles are such fun and very personable so he should turn around in no time...

Status
Not open for further replies.