Rescued Greek tortoise still too light after 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
In early November I rescued a little Greek tortoise, whom we named Boo. He was being kept in a tiny aquarium indoors without water, with a household bulb, no UV. His bark chips smelled like cigarette smoke. He had a ring drilled into his shell. He was very shy and very skinny. His shell is hard and actually looks good, probably because they kept him outside (tethered by his ring) in the Summer. His beak was terribly overgrown. He is a captive bred 'Antakyan' Greek, hatched Summer 2005 by a Seattle breeder. The old owner got him directly from the breeder as a tiny yearling in 2006. When I got him he was just over 5 inches, and weighed 445g. According to the Jackson Ratio calculator, he is on the light side.

I built him a nice tort table, bought proper lights (tube UVB and basking. Basking temp is now 98-100 degrees, warm side of table is about 82 most days, cool side is 67-70, room temp). I soaked him every day for a week, then 1-2x per week and provided a water dish in his table, good leafy greens (different edible weeds and leaves from my garden, plus some kale, collard greens, etc), supplement w/ TNT and cuttlebone. It has been 9 weeks since I got him.

For the first 4 weeks he barely even touched his food. His old owner only fed him romaine and carrots, sprinkled with calcium. I completely cut out romaine, and gave him more nutritious food... he wouldn't touch it, not cut up, not whole. I didn't trim his beak until around Christmas because he was so scared. He actually LOST weight during those first 4 weeks, but his activity increased, and he became less shy. Now he is slowly starting to eat, he eats dandelion greens and collards fine, sometimes will eat red leaf lettuce, and will eat raspberry leaves if he is in the mood. He rarely finishes the food I give him though. He is now at 450g, so has gained back the weight lost, plus additional 5g. I'm just worried because he is eating so little in comparison to my 4 Russian tortoises? He needs to put on weight, but he never finishes his food!

Any advice? I attached a pic - he's a cute little guy... he should be larger at almost 8 years old... barely over 5 inches.

Boo hiding Jan 2013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Did you try spring mix or mazuri? Sometimes, when I want to introduce a new food, I'd mix a little of what they are use to eating with the new stuff. Try variety...something will be his favorite. Btw, he's beautiful!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He is definitely a little cutie..i agree with sibi.. also you can try zoomed grassland tortoise food. In addition to his greens...

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
He's not a big fan of Spring mix - I do mix it in there though. I haven't tried any prepared (pellet etc) foods because I've heard so much bad stuff about it (that it's not formulated properly for small torts like Russians or Greeks). I'd be willing to try those if the experts think it would help him gain weight, though. :)

mainey34 said:
He is definitely a little cutie..i agree with sibi.. also you can try zoomed grassland tortoise food. In addition to his greens...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
First off Russians have a reputation for being little piggies... don't compare your Greek with them; he'll probably never tuck into food quite as enthusiastically as a Russian can!

This tort has had a tough time and even the most relaxed can take months to trust new surroundings. It's still early days.

My feeling is that any tort that is not eating properly should be soaked daily. If they're not eating properly, they're getting little water from food. A dehydrated tort won't eat properly. Resume daily soaks until appetite returns.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Good point. I will resume daily soaks. Thank you @Joe'sMum

He does have a nice pie pan of water in his tort table, and he RUNS through it all day long, tracking a ton of coco coir into it. :) I just dump the wet coir into the compost, and give him fresh water every day, and he waits for it to be put down, and instantly runs back into it. :) Makes me giggle.

Yeah, I also suspect that it will just take some time. I hope he will turn into a nice healthy heavy tort in time. It's kinda weird picking him up because he feels so light. He's still on the low end of the "OK" spectrum of the Jackson ratio, but any less weight and he's officially anorexic. At least he is super active - more active than my Russians. When I first got him he just slept in his log all day.

JoesMum said:
First off Russians have a reputation for being little piggies... don't compare your Greek with them; he'll probably never tuck into food quite as enthusiastically as a Russian can!

This tort has had a tough time and even the most relaxed can take months to trust new surroundings. It's still early days.

My feeling is that any tort that is not eating properly should be soaked daily. If they're not eating properly, they're getting little water from food. A dehydrated tort won't eat properly. Resume daily soaks until appetite returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.