rescued with many issues, please help

Duck

I acquired a box turtle off of free craigslist today that appears to have had a rough life. It currently has an overgrown beak, a nose that appears to have an infection of some sort and very bizarre growths. The growths look like they could be warts or possibly a whole bunch of missed sheds on each scale. It has had major shell rot in the past but look like nothing currently active.

I can't get one picture to upload (it looks like you can click to see it), but it shows these growths on every scale on the front leg.

Other than the obvious vet visit, does anyone know what, if anything can be done for the poor thing. I am going to trim its beak and nails and get all of the proper heat/lighting, but would like any other advise.

I know the shell looks bad, I want to know what the growths are.

20151129_201900[1].jpg

20151129_201948[1].jpg

forum box turtle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi Duck and welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert or a vet, but the shell looks weak from a lack of calcium. You may want to add a calcium block in his space where he can pick at it as he needs to. The wart-like thingy nay be caused from a virus. If possible, whenever you get him to a vet, have them check his blood for any abnormalities. Other than that, I think he'll get better with your care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I think the poor thing has just been kept in a too dry environment for a very long time. Set him up in a moist/humid area and give him a bigger waterer, one that he can climb into and sit his whole body inside. I like plant saucers for this. Some of our members have been having good luck using extra virgin, cold pressed, coconut oil on their chelonians. You might do a search for that thread and see if you'd like to try it on this turtle.