Respiratory infection

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
My experience is very limited, but I see nothing to be worried about. Legs movement is subtle, no unusual breathing sounds, breathing pace is normal to me. Small increase in breathing frequency could be because of "awareness reaction" to movements or sounds outside.

Maybe someone, who have seen "proven healthy" tortoises could chime in and comment.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Thanks for update! As for me, he looks like a healthy breathing tortoise, a little bit stressed and grumpy about video footage. Pretty cool guy, anyway.

As I'm a newbie with torts, let's wait for other opinions.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
I've been gone for about a month, and I'm back... If anyone thought that my tortoise was dead and that's why I left, that is not the reason. My tortoise is still alive and I have a vet appointment for him tomorrow which I'm really excited for. I was busy designing an indoor bioactive Plywood enclosure during the months I was gone. Just wanted to say hi

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Hello! How is doing? And post an update on a vet visit, please.
I just went to a recommended vet that I found on reptiflies. Even though reptiflies is a good website, the vet I went to doesn’t seem to be good. The vet was really rough on my tortoise and suggested using a carpet as a tortoise substrate. She did a few things during the exam, she asked us questions, then weighed my tortoise, then brought in the price. (She couldn’t do much with my tortoise since he was in his shell the entire time and when the vet tried to pry his hands away to check on him, he wouldn’t budge, even with two people he wouldn’t) The price was $600! for X ray, aintidote, appointment, and this “better X ray scan.” My budget was around 300 so I started panicking. She lowered it down when I mentioned it, she lowered it to 400 dollars which is for X ray, aintidote, and appointment. I asked what the X ray was for and she said it was for looking in the tortoises lungs and bones. My mom and dad went like: “oh nah, 400 is too much”. So I had to agree on no X-ray and just taking aintidote. Is this a normal vet procedure? She did use the aintidote and told us to use it on my tortoise. (She taught us how to do it)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm sorry, that a vet appointment went like this.

Did she tell you a diagnosis? What is the symptoms has the vet found? What is the "antidote" prescribed? (I guess it's an antibiotic for treating respiratory infection).

And how's your tortoise doing? Active, eating?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry you put yourself and your little tortoise through that bad vet experience! As I said before, I don't think anything is wrong with your tortoise. But maybe now the medicine might make him sick. Please tell us exactly what the medicine is that the seemingly clueless and expensive "vet" gave you for your tortoise.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
I'm sorry, that a vet appointment went like this.

Did she tell you a diagnosis? What is the symptoms has the vet found? What is the "antidote" prescribed? (I guess it's an antibiotic for treating respiratory infection).

And how's your tortoise doing? Active, eating?
My tortoise likes to dig a lot so I guess that makes him active? He is still eating but yesterday he refused his watercress (he might have been stressed from the car trip) I saw him doing open mouth breathing again yesterday. She just asked me questions and took the answer as a joke diagnosis. The vet said that she noticed he was very strong and the entire vet visit my tortoise was inside his shell. I’m going to check what the aintiodte the doctor used, but she said it was safe if he wasent sick. (I highly doubt that) however she did seem to know the care for a Russian tortoise besides the fact that she thinks that the minimum of a tortoise enclosure should be 40 gallons

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My tortoise likes to dig a lot so I guess that makes him active? He is still eating but yesterday he refused his watercress (he might have been stressed from the car trip) I saw him doing open mouth breathing again yesterday. She just asked me questions and took the answer as a joke diagnosis. The vet said that she noticed he was very strong and the entire vet visit my tortoise was inside his shell. I’m going to check what the aintiodte the doctor used, but she said it was safe if he wasent sick. (I highly doubt that)
If he roams around doing his important tortoise business, digs and climbs - then yes, he's active.

As far as I can see, your tortoises behaves as usual, there is no negative dynamic. And either he is healing on his own or he is just healthy.

Yes, please show the prescription. Antibiotics aren't safe to use "just in case", they have side-effects.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My tortoise likes to dig a lot so I guess that makes him active? He is still eating but yesterday he refused his watercress (he might have been stressed from the car trip) I saw him doing open mouth breathing again yesterday. She just asked me questions and took the answer as a joke diagnosis. The vet said that she noticed he was very strong and the entire vet visit my tortoise was inside his shell. I’m going to check what the aintiodte the doctor used, but she said it was safe if he wasent sick. (I highly doubt that) however she did seem to know the care for a Russian tortoise besides the fact that she thinks that the minimum of a tortoise enclosure should be 40 gallons

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Keep your tortoise in the way that has been advised right here on this site, and note any obvious change in his behaviour apart from normal withdrawn attitude due to stress from that "vet" episode. Keep us informed! He is a lovely little guy and lucky to have an owner who cares so much for him!

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Keep your tortoise in the way that has been advised right here on this site, and note any obvious change in his behaviour apart from normal withdrawn attitude due to stress from that "vet" episode. Keep us informed! He is a lovely little guy and lucky to have an owner who cares so much for him!
Thank you! forgot to mention that my tortoise has recently been making clicking noises. Should I give my tortoise the medication? The medication Is an intermuscular, ceftazidim (tazicef)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you! forgot to mention that my tortoise has recently been making clicking noises. Should I give my tortoise the medication? The medication Is an intermuscular, ceftazidim (tazicef)
"Clicking" is not usually a problem (depends on is it intentional or not).

The medication is an antibiotic treatment. The most notable side-effect is that it affects the gut flora. I would go with the medications as prescribed by the vet for several reasons:
1. You and vet have seen tortoise with your own eyes and have a better picture of symptoms.
2. Side-effects of ceftazidim are noticeable and injections are not risk-free. But it doesn't do severe harm.
3. Since you've setup environment (temp, humidity) properly injections might make sense. With wrong habitat any treatment is near useless.
4. You went to the vet because you've been unsure of your tortoise health. You've got a diagnosis and a prescription and it would be rather strange to retreat now.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The clicking is a sign of respiratory trouble. Ceftazidime is the correct treatment for that problem, so go ahead and use the medication the vet gave you.

By the way, ceftazidime is an ANTIBIOTIC, not an ANTIDOTE.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
The clicking is a sign of respiratory trouble. Ceftazidime is the correct treatment for that problem, so go ahead and use the medication the vet gave you.

By the way, ceftazidime is an ANTIBIOTIC, not an ANTIDOTE.
Ok thank you, I messed up between aintiboitic and antidote. My bad 😅

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
"Clicking" is not usually a problem (depends on is it intentional or not).

The medication is an antibiotic treatment. The most notable side-effect is that it affects the gut flora. I would go with the medications as prescribed by the vet for several reasons:
1. You and vet have seen tortoise with your own eyes and have a better picture of symptoms.
2. Side-effects of ceftazidim are noticeable and injections are not risk-free. But it doesn't do severe harm.
3. Since you've setup environment (temp, humidity) properly injections might make sense. With wrong habitat any treatment is near useless.
4. You went to the vet because you've been unsure of your tortoise health. You've got a diagnosis and a prescription and it would be rather strange to retreat now.
Okay, I will continue to use it.