"retained shed "

Russian Rehab

Location (City and/or State)
ma
I need some advice for my Russian named Harley.
long story short i have had him for about 4 months now and he is a sickly little boy. his previous owner was horribly neglectful of him threw sheer ignorance and stupidity. He ate only spring mix, no baths, no light at all no calcium, and lived in a glass aquarium. just. Horrible.

since i have had him he has been sick a lot. First he was dehydrated and had a prolapsed penis from straining to poop. then his eyes were all puffy from not enough Vitim A, then last week he came down with pneumonia and had to spend two days at the Boston animal hospital. they did x-RAYS to confirm the pneumonia and also diagnosed low bone density (not surprising with having no uva uvb light for years) and finally they said he also had a "retained shed"

1. i am soaking him daily to try and help with the shed but is there anything else i can do to support him getting rid of the old skin?
2. do you think all these things are related or contributing to each other?

I just dont understand how he made it so long in horrible conditions but now that im trying to give him exactly the things he needs now hes getting seriously sick all the time.

love my little guy i just want to help him get well so he can lead a good life like he deserves. it would also be nice to not spend tones of money on emergency medical care but hes gonna get what he deserves not matter what.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never heard of or seen a "retained shed" for tortoises. Can you share a picture so we all can learn from you experience?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.... i did some internet sleuthing.....and found this tidbit..

Diseases affecting the shell

Retained scutes: "Dysecdysis" is the term to describe the condition in which an old scute is retained and not shed properly. This condition is often associated with poor husbandry, and may occur if the turtle has not been able to dry off or bask sufficiently to lose its old scutes. Retained scutes often become infected. A turtle with dysecdysis should be examined by a veterinarian.

Source: https://www.petcoach.co/article/shells-anatomy-and-diseases-of-turtle-and-tortoise-shells/

Russian Rehab

ma
1. you can see the remaining skin at the meeting of his armpit and shellIMG_4494.jpg IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4488.jpg IMG_4493.jpg IMG_4494.jpg IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4482.jpg IMG_4493.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4493.jpg
    IMG_4493.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 20

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
How sad! Please definitely share some pics so our experienced members can try to help!

Russian Rehab

ma
Greetings.... i did some internet sleuthing.....and found this tidbit..

Diseases affecting the shell

Retained scutes: "Dysecdysis" is the term to describe the condition in which an old scute is retained and not shed properly. This condition is often associated with poor husbandry, and may occur if the turtle has not been able to dry off or bask sufficiently to lose its old scutes. Retained scutes often become infected. A turtle with dysecdysis should be examined by a veterinarian.

Source: https://www.petcoach.co/article/shells-anatomy-and-diseases-of-turtle-and-tortoise-shells/
its not his scutes its his skin

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
its not his scutes its his skin

Can see the skin issue now... i was providing info based on your title “retained shed” and the info in your first paragraph or two:

• they did x-RAYS to confirm the pneumonia and also diagnosed low bone density (not surprising with having no uva uvb light for years) and finally they said he also had a "retained shed"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, I've never seen that before. I HAVE seen something similar, but the areas on your tortoise's upper legs were raw flesh instead of new skin. That's what it looks like when a tortoise has had an overdose injection of vitamin A - raw flesh. I wonder if in the past, before you got the tortoise that was raw flesh instead of new skin. Vitamin A overdose. I don't have any words of wisdom for you. Hopefully it will resolve by itself. What did the vet suggest?

Last edited:

Russian Rehab

ma
Wow, I've never seen that before. I HAVE see something similar, but the areas on your tortoise'supper legs were raw flesh instead of new skin. That's what it looks like when a tortoise has had an overdose injection of vitamin A - raw flesh. I wonder if in the past, before you got the tortoise that was raw flesh instead of new skin. Vitamin A overdose. I don't have any words of wisdom for you. Hopefully it will resolve by itself. What did the vet suggest?

all of it is very scary. his skin got very very dry and now even when their is a large area that has come off it's like its too thick to break so he has large contentions hangingin on by parts that are not yet dry enough to detach.