Richard Fife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Are ivory sulcatas called "ivory" because they are pale, or because they hale from the Ivory Coast, Africa? If it is because they are pale, does that decrease their tolerance for solar radiation, and increase their ability to synthesize vitamin D, as in humans?

It is a phenotypic descriptor.

They do not appear to suffer any ill effects, although the basic physics apply regarding heat gain and retention due to chromatic difference. A dark sulcata of a given size at a particular starting temperature will heat up faster than its pale equivalent in the same set of conditions. Does this become significant? I do not know and, since there is no need for me to modify care, I do not worry about it. Due to the leucism, their eyes are fine in the sunlight, too. No special care needed in that regard.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
DeanS said:
It's not phony! I have my sights set on a grander program!

I know I'm late to the party here, but this post has me wondering. More grand than Aladar??? What do you have planned, Mr. Dean?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks, Tom. I was still a bit confused when I saw the baby pictures, but when I followed the thread link to the 250+ pound males and looked at the pics, I understood. WOW! I figured it had to be "grander" in the size sense of the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.