Right home for Elmo

Germanola

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
AFFEF452-F8CF-430E-B81F-EF9FAFFBE012.jpeg Good morning everybody,

I am fairly new to tortoiseforum. I only posted one time when Elmo was sick and I was looking for answeres. Since then I took Elmo to the Vet about 5 weeks ago, which helped him, but was a very unpleasant visit. The vet was the only one here in my area (Florida) that was willing to take a look at Elmo and did not even know what kind of tortoise Elmo is. But he is doing much better and today I am writing because we got him a new home for the inside. It is a huge cage with a big plastic pen (3 f by 4 f). I put everything in what I learned, is good for him. He is more active then he ever was, but he always wants to climb up the side panels, and that makes us feel bad because we don’t know if he does not like his bigger home or is that what tortoise always do? In the future we are planning a bigger home but for now he is still a youngster. I would appreciate any help because I want Elmo to be happy.

N

no one

I think it is because of the glass sides, he can look true them. Maybe tape them off. So he feels more secure.
Good of you to make such an effort for Elmo!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Germanola . Would you please post a pic of your cute tort's enclosure? Thank you. At the same time, please allow me to point out that the bigger the enclosure, the better: these cute little animals are used to roaming around in the wild without boundaries.

It is going to take your tort time to get used to the enclosure, as torts do not like change.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't know if I would like to have a big "monster cat" observing me intently through the glass, if I was Elmo.
What is the substrate? Wood chips are possibly toxic, especially if any of them get into the water and he drinks it.
Food dish needs to be lower down in the substrate or whatever other substrate you change it for.
Elmo is totally adorable!