Rocks in outdoor pen...safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
I am cleaning up an area in my yard where the dogs won't be able to access, to turn into a bigger tort pen. The area used to have pea gravel for a dog run, and although it has been removed, there is still quite a bit under the grass. I've been scraping and raking it for an hour but I feel like there is going to be small amounts of this gravel no matter what... should I be concerned? He is a big guy and really only shows interest in eating plants and flowers, but I worry about him swallowing a rock anyways. They're marble sized. This is really the only area in the yard that I can use due to the abundance of enclosures already (pigeon loft, two aviaries for corvids) and our pack of six dogs.

Thoughts?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think it will be ok. I have smaller rocks in with red foots and have had no problems.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
It is nearly impossible to avoid all rocks/pebbles in outdoor enclosures. Sounds like your tortoise has had a healthy diet.
And they will help with the enclosure drainage.
Leave the rest and don't worry!

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
Do people ever include small rocks in their outdoor enclosures for sulcatas? My paranoia is not completely baseless; we took in a sick tegu whose owners couldn't afford vet care, and he ended up being sick due to a large rock in his bowels. It resulted in 3 surgeries at over $10 000 and years of care before he was adopted (a week ago!). So now, I am afraid of rocks! Haha! But tegus eat eggs and such, which can resemble rocks, and rocks don't really resemble any of my sully's food.

There are still quite a few rocks throughout the enclosure...I removed over 15 gallons so far...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I try to remove as many as possible. However it's just not possible to remove them all. What I did, is to put a layer of grass on top. Now, I have a leopard, not a burrowing sully, but if he is large, the little stones shouldn't be a problem.

Jazz

5 Year Member
Do they REALLY eat it?i've never had such case

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
I dont see why it would be a problem, if they eat a lot of rocks, then i would suggest taking them out or covering them up, but even my sulcata will eat a few pebbles now and again.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There is no reasonable way to eliminate every rock, stone, stick and other naturally occuring material outdoors. I would not be concerned about small stones or rocks in an enclosure. If the tortoise is fed a good quality diet that is high in vitamin and mineral content there is little chance of them consuming small stones intentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.