Pea Gravel

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
I’m looking at building a stone walkway in my backyard where I keep my Sulcatas. I’m looking at doing stepping stones with pea gravel surrounding the stones, they’ll cover an area that’s about 120 square feet. I was curious to know if anyone else has used this? I only ask because I know Sulcatas tend to eat anything they can fit in their mouths.. bad idea??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmmmm, i can definitely see a curious hungry Sully ambling down the pathway. A nibble here, a nibble there, eat a few stones here and again there. Personally, i think pea gravel is a no no, a tempting bite size morsel for a tortoise.

Maybe bump up a size or two.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They try and eat everything. Doesn't have to taste good even. I would avoid anything small they can fit in their mouth.

drew54

Indiana
Not only are torts tanks, bulldozers, cute dinosaurs, but they are also big eating machines. We have tons of that's where torts have eaten everything from screws to toys. I would definitely avoid anything they can eat.

drew54

Indiana
Not only are torts tanks, bulldozers, cute dinosaurs, but they are also big eating machines. We have tons of threads where torts have eaten everything from screws to toys. I would definitely avoid anything they can eat.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have known of sulcatas who have eaten dry wall, dorritos bag, mardi gras beads. The list goes on and on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to tell people to get down on their hands and knees and go through the whole tortoise yard picking up rocks and stuff small enough to fit in a tortoise's mouth. I haven't said that in a while, but it's worth repeating. pea gravel? that would be a no no.