RT not eating much

macyfidlerr

Location (City and/or State)
Longview, TX
My tortoise will not eat much. This is his indoor enclosure where he has been spending (most) of his time due to the weather being so hot outside. I soak him weekly for 30 minutes. Under his UVA+UVB (combined bulb) it is 97.4 degrees F. In the center it is 75 degrees F. And in his hides it is 74 degrees F. At night the temps go down to 60-70 degrees F. The pink lamp has just a regular lightbulb (not coil) that emits no heat.
I am just wanting to know why he has slowed down. He seems very active and healthy but he won't eat hardly anything day by day and this has been going on for a while now. He walks all over his food like he doesn't even see it and when I try to hand feed him he walks away. I have tried just about everything on the care sheets that I can find in my area and he will only bite at radicchio most of the time. I sprinkle TNT and Calcium without D3 on his food daily. I know his enclosure is not the biggest but he has not been spending a lot of time in it here until recently Just recently until his outdoor enclosure gets cooler and the weather permits. Any help is appreciated. I have no vets who specialize in reptiles in my area. I took him to an exotic vet who looked at his waste for parasites and she found nothing. But she didn't seem to know why he wasn't eating or anything about tortoises really.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470779875.387594.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470779447.669946.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470779465.135527.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470779483.204488.jpg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great indoor habitat! Nice and roomy. I would add a few plants, either fake or real, in the middle, not near the edge because they use plants as ladders to escape the habitat.

In the first picture his eye looks a bit pinched, not open real wide. That might be a clue that something is wrong. The bulb might not be putting out any UVB. That sometimes makes them go off their feed.

macyfidlerr

Longview, TX
That's a great indoor habitat! Nice and roomy. I would add a few plants, either fake or real, in the middle, not near the edge because they use plants as ladders to escape the habitat.

In the first picture his eye looks a bit pinched, not open real wide. That might be a clue that something is wrong. The bulb might not be putting out any UVB. That sometimes makes them go off their feed.
Thank you so much! :) Should I pot them or plant them in the dirt? What kinds should I put in there?
And should I buy a separate or just a new bulb? Thank you again :)

macyfidlerr

Longview, TX
Thank you so much! :) Should I pot them or plant them in the dirt? What kinds should I put in there?
And should I buy a separate or just a new bulb? Thank you again :)
I have had this bulb for just a few months and maybe something has gone wrong but this is the exact bulb I have ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470781122.361659.jpg