Runny Nose

katelyn1194

Location (City and/or State)
Port Angeles, Washington
Hi all,

I've had my Russian tortoise for about seven years now. Recently I noticed that after he's done eating he gets a small running nose. I live an hour and a half from the closest vet to see him, and they're booked out for a while now. His nose only slightly runs, (you have to get up pretty close to even see it), right after he eats then goes away. I don't want to wait to go to the vet if it is a respiratory infection. I did get a new heat lamp for him and have been watching the humidity more. Otherwise, his behavior is normal and his appetite is strong.

Any advice helps!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi all,

I've had my Russian tortoise for about seven years now. Recently I noticed that after he's done eating he gets a small running nose. I live an hour and a half from the closest vet to see him, and they're booked out for a while now. His nose only slightly runs, (you have to get up pretty close to even see it), right after he eats then goes away. I don't want to wait to go to the vet if it is a respiratory infection. I did get a new heat lamp for him and have been watching the humidity more. Otherwise, his behavior is normal and his appetite is strong.

Any advice helps!
I would check your temps and enclosure, compared to the info I will link for you, and if all is good, I would not worry about this based on what you've told us.

Start with this and look for the heating and lighting breakdown at the bottom and the temperate species care sheet: