Russain Tort Falling/Jumping off Front of Hide

Rexthetort

Location (City and/or State)
New york
Hes been doing this for a while now and I have no idea why. Came home today to him stuck with his face down in the dirt legs up in the air since his hide was keeping him in that position. I dont know how long he was like that for. Should I be worried? I know he can suck his neck back up but dont want him hurting himself. If anyone knows why hes doing this or has an advice let me know please.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hes been doing this for a while now and I have no idea why. Came home today to him stuck with his face down in the dirt legs up in the air since his hide was keeping him in that position. I dont know how long he was like that for. Should I be worried? I know he can suck his neck back up but dont want him hurting himself. If anyone knows why hes doing this or has an advice let me know please.
Hello and welcome to TFO. I have a little Russian and I can tell you this. If there is a way to climb something a tortoise will find it. If the hide has a somewhat rough surface that they can use to get a claw in they will. I've also seen my little guy scoot his hide in a way that he can flip himself sideways and climb it. (Or in other words, up the wall and you have an escapee if you don't have a top) I would try to figure out what is enabling the little monkey and correct it as you find them. Even then they can get themselves in all kinds of fixes. I found my little guy hanging(by one claw) from the hardware cloth in his lid. And I know better. He just thought he figured a way to go wherever but it didn't work. I don't really think they're trying to "escape". I think it's just their nature to roam large areas and they don't give up. Hang in there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen youtube videos of little tortoises climbing the hide and jumping off, then going around and climbing it again and jumping off, repeating it so often that it looks like they are actually doing it for fun.

Rexthetort

New york
Thanks everyone for the help!! He does seem to be doing it more for fun than anything. Lol hes actually doing it right now such a dork.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks everyone for the help!! He does seem to be doing it more for fun than anything. Lol hes actually doing it right now such a dork.
Hehehe...just think...he's just getting started.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That is why I am glad I got some scrap sewer pipe (8" diameter) since it is way smooth so no climbing!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That is why I am glad I got some scrap sewer pipe (8" diameter) since it is way smooth so no climbing!
I make mine from scrap wood. And 8" high is great for my Russian too. Anything lower won't work.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
THis is my starter setup and his summer outdoor setup. The Outdoor uses the most modern in Tort technology the Tigloo 6000. Gotta pry him out of it somedays-cool on hot days and warm on cool days

IMG_0971.JPG IMG_1769 (3).jpeg