Russian hide help

Noah101

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar grove nj
Do I need to make a burrow for my Russian adult Russian tortoise if I’m not planning on hibernating my tortoise ( I know the word isn’t hibernating but I forgot what the word was)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I need to make a burrow for my Russian adult Russian tortoise if I’m not planning on hibernating my tortoise ( I know the word isn’t hibernating but I forgot what the word was)
Brumation is the word you are looking for.

A burrow would be good for the tortoise to escape the mid day summer heat. A burrow would not be used for brumation.

What are your daily highs right now? How much shade does the enclosure get? Have you checked the temperature in the hide areas with a thermometer to make sure they are staying cool enough on hot summer days?

Noah101

Cedar grove nj

A burrow would be good for the tortoise to escape the mid day summer heat. A burrow would not be used for brumation.

What are your daily highs right now? How much shade does the enclosure get? Have you checked the temperature in the hide areas with a thermometer to make sure they are staying cool enough on hot summer days?
It’s an indoor enclosure I forgot to say that if that changes anything

Noah101

Cedar grove nj

Also dose the burrow need to be humid if so how humid

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s an indoor enclosure I forgot to say that if that changes anything
No need for a burrow in an indoor enclosure, but it is still kind of fun to do if you can make it work.

Doesn't matter if it is humid or not for an adult Russian. I would make it lightly damp to avoid dust. Not wet. Just damp.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I made this thread recently if you fancy giving it a look over, might come in handy to keep referring to🙂

Noah101

Cedar grove nj
No need for a burrow in an indoor enclosure, but it is still kind of fun to do if you can make it work.

Doesn't matter if it is humid or not for an adult Russian. I would make it lightly damp to avoid dust. Not wet. Just damp.
Okay thank you this is so helpful!!

Noah101

Cedar grove nj
I made this thread recently if you fancy giving it a look over, might come in handy to keep referring to🙂

Thank you I will definitely read this