Russian HorseField Tortoise

BigDaveandBoris

Hi everyone its been a long time since i last posted Boris is now 5 years old! wahey but with age comes worry.

Borris has always been a mover and eater with some quite spells

But this year for about 3 month he has kept in a corner and eatten nothing even now in this warmer temp his shell is cold and he still remains in the corner dug down in the mud.

I get so worried i dont know what to do, is he hibernating? do i move him? he is alive as i see his head moving in and out when breathing.

I feel sorry for the poor lad. i want to let him out and run the rooms but i have a 1 year old son who would love to use him as a toy car. I have many times contemplated leaving him outside in a shabby made enclosure. but how long before a bird or cat decide he looks like a toy also.

and if not that what if he digs out?

Please help im worried about him so much that ive considered putting him up for adoption to someone who has a much wider understanding.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It's not uncommon for Russians to attempt hibernation. They know when the days get shorter and temperatures fall some how.

However, doing this at normal temperatures is not good as dehydration and weight loss become a serious risk. In true hibernation the body shuts down almost completely and there is little or no weight loss; temperature needs to be steady around 5C/41F to achieve this.

You must soak your tortoise every day for at least 30 minutes to ensure it stays hydrated.

Double check those temperatures. Make sure they are spot on. What do you have directly under the basking lamp, warm side, cool side and overnight minimum?

Have the lights on full and bright for 14 hours. Use a timer.

When did you last replace the UVB? A new bulb may help here too. What type of UVB do you use?

Somehow we have to convince your tort that summer has arrived!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Richard:

It's not a good idea to allow a tortoise to roam free around the house. He needs a dedicated yard all to himself outside. You'd be surprised what good old sunshine does for a lethargic tortoise. It really perks them up. Make him a nice pen outside where he can wander and graze and I think you'll see a lot more movement out of him.