Russian needs eye drops

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
I am a first time owner as of 6-22-14. So far, "Digger" has survived my good intentions. I cannot believe how attached I am to him. Anyway, I put sand in his habitat and the next thing I knew he was scratching one eye. I noticed a small amount of matter in the corner of the eye and it seemed a tiny receded and smaller than the other. I have been reading this forum ever since I got him and read where eye drops are administered for eye issues. I want to know: How the heck do you put drops in the eye of a tortoise ??????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, first of all, you need to get rid of that sand. Besides causing impaction when they eat it on their food, it irritates their eyes.

Get a squirt bottle of sterile saline solution or Vetericyn Eye Wash (found at the pet store) and squirt it towards the eyeball while he's unsuspecting and sitting there with his eyes open.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thanks, sand was gone 2 hours after I noticed the eye. What a job that was!
I am new here and when I didn't get an immediate response (nervous first time mother), I went to the welcome post and got answers there.
He got another soak today and I dropped artificial tears on his head that made their way to his eye.
Digger didn't mind a bit. Have not seen him scratch again.