Russian not eating after hibernation.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I woke up my 16 year old Russian from hibernation on the 16th and after a few days at 50-60 degrees put him back in his enclosure on the 20th. I have been giving him short soaks daily and offering food but he has really only eaten 3 or 4 times if that and still seems sluggish. This is his first time hibernating so I didn't know if this is concerning or not.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I woke up my 16 year old Russian from hibernation on the 16th and after a few days at 50-60 degrees put him back in his enclosure on the 20th. I have been giving him short soaks daily and offering food but he has really only eaten 3 or 4 times if that and still seems sluggish. This is his first time hibernating so I didn't know if this is concerning or not.
Which corner of the world are you in?
Double check your temps to make sure he is warm enough.
If you post a picture of his enclosure members can see if there's anything that could be affecting him.
I see you've been a member for years but just in case you've missed these valuable threads here's the links

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Hi Lyn, Im in Virginia, I went with a shorter stint in hibernation , around 9 weeks, since it was his first time. His cool side is around 70-74 depending on the time of day, prob high 60s at night, his hot side is 100 directly under the heat bulb. He has an acradia 12% uvb with two growlights for additional lighting

Attachments

• 20230302_185657[839].jpg
    20230302_185657[839].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a little Russian. I've never hibernated him so I really don't know. But if you are trying to wake yours up, raise the temperature a bit on the cool side. I have never allowed my tortoise in the 15 years I've had him to be in temps under 75 °f.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a little Russian. I've never hibernated him so I really don't know. But if you are trying to wake yours up, raise the temperature a bit on the cool side. I have never allowed my tortoise in the 15 years I've had him to be in temps under 75 °f.🤗
Also from your picture, maybe find a ceramic floor tile for food. One costs a dollar or so at Lowe's. YavonneG suggested that for me and it's a perfect food dish for a Russian tortoise. That way keeps their food from laying on and picking up substrate and it's easy for them to eat from.🤗

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Also from your picture, maybe find a ceramic floor tile for food. One costs a dollar or so at Lowe's. YavonneG suggested that for me and it's a perfect food dish for a Russian tortoise. That way keeps their food from laying on and picking up substrate and it's easy for them to eat from.🤗
Its actually a piece of stone with a little divot in the middle, It just got kind of buried. And I'll give a second lamp a shot, thanks!