Russian or Greek?

Cozl86

My wife and I bought what we were told was a Russian tortoise from PetSmart. The more I have researched the less I am sure if he is in fact a Russian or if he is a Greek. Any advice on how to tell the difference?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Post a picture, and we can tell you which it is. In the meantime, russian tortoises have a tan-ish color with black spots in the center.
This is a russian tortoise;
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387843946.109844.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cozl86

Thank you! I will post a picture as soon as I get home.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1387846161.502468.jpg
This is the only picture I have on my phone. If it's not good enough I will take another when I get home.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Operator here. Congrats, you are the proud new parents of a Russian tortoise. I think. Experts? Am I right? All's I know, too cute. Great face! : )

Haha! Just saw that the moderator put this in the Russian category, so I must be right. Weeee. If you take more pics, when you can, the expert folks can tell you if it is a boy or girl. : ) Oh, and howdy welcome to TFO! : )

Cozl86

Here is a better pic.ImageUploadedByTortForum1387855148.129261.jpg

Cozl86

Thanks a lot! I'm actually relieved. I read that Greeks were harder to care for and this is our first tort. I do have a couple of questions:
1) do they always burrow at night? Tonight I noticed he was sleeping out in the open.

2) do they sleep a lot during the day? I'm working with his temp and had the basking side at 95 today. He was very active last night and this morning, but he went down this afternoon and stayed in one area for several hours. Is that normal? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks a lot! I'm actually relieved. I read that Greeks were harder to care for and this is our first tort. I do have a couple of questions:
1) do they always burrow at night? Tonight I noticed he was sleeping out in the open.

2) do they sleep a lot during the day? I'm working with his temp and had the basking side at 95 today. He was very active last night and this morning, but he went down this afternoon and stayed in one area for several hours. Is that normal? Or am I just being paranoid?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Have you given him a good warm soak? That helps. A lot. I do 20 minutes. Something about the warm spa (like us!). Also, we do not know what he has been through. I am sure travelling, all the stops along the way, to get to the store, then to you ... stressful. For that reason, soaks are wonderful, warm and cozy. Also, he does not know you. His instinct may be asking if you are going to eat him, or as simply as where am I? So give him time. Do not hover above. Let him get his mojo in his new home and once he realizes he is safe, the personality will evolve. : )

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Being paranoid is normal especially when your tort is new! Both sound fine and normal to me. My russian sleeps in the open and in his hide at night, about 50/50. I think that's a tort preference - maybe feeling safe/secure or based on temps, not sure. Also totally normal to stick in the same spot for a few hours or half the day and be more active at particular times. Mine is active in the morning and late afternoon/early evening. Congrats on your new tort, they are fun! And welcome to tort parenting lol :)

Cozl86

Thank you guys so much. I'm so glad I found this forum! I have been worrying and stressing over every little thing all day! Lol

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Totally understandable. Just shout out your concerns, there is usually someone who can help. Even some members from the other side of the world with opposite hours than us, some times. Unless everyone is doing last minute shopping. Russians are very hardy. As long as you get all the temps right, keep him hydrated and allow time to get used to you, and of course, variety of foods, you should have a lovely time with your tortoise. They are actually very therapeutic. I chill just watching them eat. Funny how that is. Maybe cause they are grounding. : )

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Pet smart is terrible!! Forget everything they told you and use this forum for learning how to care for your new friend. I do what I've learned here and I think my girl is happy and healthy which is of no thanks to petsmart where I bought her

I bought a tort , it's russian too but was told Greek... They sold me Same setup as yours ( 49gallon glass aquarium with reptile setup) and later I found out that it was too small for him... I am starting to build a new house for him tomorrow.

Sharing a picture of his current house. Can't wait to transfer him to his new house.

You are right place, I learned a lot from this forum. Petsmart is full of crap. ImageUploadedByTortForum1388732544.948374.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388732563.431067.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388732613.698463.jpg

bradtato

Richmond, VA
Re: RE: Russian or Greek?

lucky_tortoise said:
I bought a tort , it's russian too but was told Greek... They sold me Same setup as yours ( 49gallon glass aquarium with reptile setup) and later I found out that it was too small for him... I am starting to build a new house for him tomorrow.

Sharing a picture of his current house. Can't wait to transfer him to his new house.

You are right place, I learned a lot from this forum. Petsmart is full of crap.

I don't like to bash individual companies, because ultimately, it comes down to whether their employees have done their research. I spoke with a couple employees at a PetSmart, one of which was the proud owner of a redfoot they had, and everything they told me about caring for them complied very well with the research I had done on my own.

I ended up purchasing my little guy from Petco, using the information I had collected and chose the most personable, active Russian out of the half dozen pet shops I visited.

I agree with with the others; yours looks a lot like my Russian :)

Cozl86

I have to say, the girl who helped us was on point in everything that she told us. She even told us that the terrarium we were buying was too small, but it was all they had in stock. What actually made me question was what I was reading! Lol. I don't know about everybody else's experience at pet companies, but the petsmart employee that helped us was very good and very knowledgeable.