Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
RE: Russian of Hermanns?!?!?

I may be a little prejudiced, but I vote russian.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

To really give you a better well thought out choice, I would need to know more about you. Like what are you wanting this tortoise to do? Sit and look pretty? Will it be housed inside and out? Where do you live and how do you live? If the weather changes suddenly and dramatically, are you always able to rush to it's side or do you need hardy? Do you have thoughts on hibernation? Thoughts on WC or CB? Is price an object? Is shipping a problem?

For example with a quick mental check in my memory banks, your from N Dakota, you do hockey in a big way and your Grandparents had Russians, correct. So far that will lead me to advise you get a Russian. The Russian could take the cold better for those unforeseen power outages. They, in my opinion are tougher and hardier, so they could hold up better to either no care or care from somebody just tortoise sitting with no real knowledge of them. Then and to me this is a biggie, there is already an emotional family bond to the Russian.

Now if this animal were being gotten by me for me...ummm wait a second please. Terry do you mind closing your eyes for awhile? Okay he is hopefully not seeing this. If it were for me, I would choose the Hermanns. Come back with more details about you and the future you see for this tortoise and I will give you more thoughts on which one for you.

grogansilver

5 Year Member

:tort: "Jacqui i love your opinion on the matters of both species especially the Russians! but what would be a nice out look and opinion (thoughts) on your behalf of the Pancake tortoise? :tort:

Kailey

5 Year Member

I love my little Russian hatchling to death, he's such a little character. Based purely on aesthetics though, I would go for hermann's.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks

Price is not a problem, want a very sociable tort. It's gotta be cute obviously!!! Would like to give it a lot of outside time during summer. Will be inside from September to May. To scared to hibernate a tort so won't be doing that!!! This is just a big decision... Any other Tort's that stay below 8 inch's can also be thrown into the decision also!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Pancakes stay small but they are much more expensive.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California

gopherhockey03 said:
Price is not a problem, want a very sociable tort.

If price is not an issue, and you want a very sociable one then I would go Hermanns. All of my Hermann's will take food from my hand, and will peer out at me when I'm near the enclosure. They'll actually follow me from one end to the other. Russians are not quite as friendly, some of them are. Others can be quite shy.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Friendliness and socializing levels are not a species thing in my opinion. It's more a matter of how you raise the animal and the animals own personality. This becoming more outgoing usually starts happening once they associate you with coming of food.:D An animal raised in captivity, usually is going to be friendlier, but WC (wild caughts) can be just as friendly with time. So this desire you want in a tortoise, is not going to change from one species to the next.

You want cute. Now the Russians may not be as strikingly beautiful, as the Hermanns with their more decorative and colorful carapaces, but they are cute in that sorta pudgy piggy type way. I have saw a few simply stunning Russians with high amounts of yellow, rather then the more drab dark carapaces you often see.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
If you plan on keeping them outdoors, then I would try to pick the tortoise whose native habitat matches where you live most closely. Hermanns come from scrub- and woodlands, while Russians come from deserts and grasslands. Russians have a greater tolerance for cold winters and low humidity (although like all tortoises, they still need a moist microclimate). I would let that be your guide.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I love the female Russian (Ophelia) I am getting Saturday! lol! :D
This week cant be over fast enough! Good luck on your decision!

jjbird60

5 Year Member
RuSsIaN PoWer!!

I vote Russian because people think it's a great reptile!

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I've had both and my vote is for Hermann's. I don't know if all do this but when I had Russians they seemed to dig a scratch more. Maybe it was just mine.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

grogansilver said:
:tort: "Jacqui i love your opinion on the matters of both species especially the Russians! but what would be a nice out look and opinion (thoughts) on your behalf of the Pancake tortoise? :tort:

I would love to, but I have not yet been lucky enough to have any of these interesting fellows yet. Everything I would say, would be based on reading, not with experience too. Also thank you for the nice comment. :)

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Jacqui said:
Friendliness and socializing levels are not a species thing in my opinion. It's more a matter of how you raise the animal and the animals own personality. This becoming more outgoing usually starts happening once they associate you with coming of food.

I stand by my original statement. My own personal observation from owning a group of russians for several years. Some of them never completely came around. They still tuck in when being lifted. Don't come out of hiding when I'm around the enclosure. Only a few of them will take food from my hand. A handful of them are friendlier, but overall, they're not quite as tame.

The hermanns, on the other hand are different. I acquired the group this year. Within a few days, they showed no fear. None of them tuck in when being held. All of them will take food from my hands. They all come out when I'm around.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Neltharion said:
Jacqui said:
Friendliness and socializing levels are not a species thing in my opinion. It's more a matter of how you raise the animal and the animals own personality. This becoming more outgoing usually starts happening once they associate you with coming of food.

I stand by my original statement. My own personal observation from owning a group of russians for several years. Some of them never completely came around. They still tuck in when being lifted. Don't come out of hiding when I'm around the enclosure. Only a few of them will take food from my hand. A handful of them are friendlier, but overall, they're not quite as tame.

The hermanns, on the other hand are different. I acquired the group this year. Within a few days, they showed no fear. None of them tuck in when being held. All of them will take food from my hands. They all come out when I'm around.

Is it because your Russians are WC, while your Hermanns are CB?

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Neltharion said:
Jacqui said:

Is it because your Russians are WC, while your Hermanns are CB?

They're both originally wild caught. I had actually read it somewhere before (maybe on here), that overall the hermanns have friendlier dispositions.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Neltharion said:
They're both originally wild caught. I had actually read it somewhere before (maybe on here), that overall the hermanns have friendlier dispositions.

Yes, I've heard people say that, too. Your experience seems to be evidence of that.

But again, I think what matters most is the health of the animal. It's all well and good to have a tortoise that looks and acts the way you like, but it's not worth it if it dies from a respiratory tract infection. Environment-matching is a good way to avoid that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.