Russian sleeping frequently

CraigIN

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hello Everyone,

I'm back again! My russian is sleeping quiet a bit right now. Temperatures are 80 in the enclosure and 95-100 in the basking area. There is plenty of light and the humidity stays at a consistent 40-45%. He does come out to eat once a day and eats a lot. He doesn't do any exploring though. His enclosure is quite large and I soak him for 10 minutes every day. In an effort to get him more hydtrated, I soaked him for 30 minutes today. I can't take him outside because it's getting too cold here. I have attached a picture of his enclosure. There are multiple cool and warm areas as well as places to hide and stuff to explore. I'm a little at a loss here - IMG_1435.JPG

Bee62

Germany
Hello,

your russian tortoise knows instinctively that it is time to hibernate.
As long as your tort is eating well all is okay. It will take some time for him to get over the feeling of "have to hibernate".
Your enclosure looks great, I like it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This time of year we see this question a lot about hibernating and even none hibernating species. It's pretty normal. My Russian is doing the same.

CraigIN

Indiana
Thanks for the wonderful replies everyone! I think I might get an LED light strip just for more simple lighting as well!

Bee62

Germany
Thanks for the wonderful replies everyone! I think I might get an LED light strip just for more simple lighting as well!

More light or brighter light is a good idea. Your tort should think it is bright, warm summer day every day.:)