Russian Toroise moving to outdoor enclose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domboozy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I have a russian tortoise ive had since I was 4 and im now almost 20 ive had her in a tank her whole life I got this idea about an outdoor enclose i live in southern california do would you guys recommend it with the weather here and rain and stuff or would it be too much for her? i also plan on getting her a friend. in particular a smaller species like her would another russian tortoise or box turtle be a good companion? thank you :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi domboozy, and welcome to the Forum!

Oh, thank goodness! That poor tortoise. In my opinion, tortoises belong outside. If you provide a nice, safe and secure house inside the outdoor habitat, and make sure she's inside it during bad weather, it's all good!!!

As to getting her a companion, I don't think that's a good idea. Different species of turtle/tortoise should not be mixed together in the same habitat. They might make each other sick or even dead. If you want another tortoise, get another russian...preferably another female.

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
My russian loves being outside espically when its nice & warm. Youll find lots of advice here on setting up an outdoor enclosure. Just remember that Russians are escape artists so make it as escape proof as possible & safe from predators.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
I live in southern California and my torts LOVE being outside, just make sure they have "hides" to crawl under to stay outta the rain if they want. I agree, torts belong outside. Check out the enclosure section of this forum for ideas :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum - I love that you've had your tortoise for that long already! I am also happy that you are thinking about providing an outdoor enclosure. There are so many different options... and if you don't want to spend a lot of money, you can often find many of the components in the free section of Craigslist, in the scrap area of the home depot or lumber yard, etc...

domboozy said:
hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I have a russian tortoise ive had since I was 4 and im now almost 20 ive had her in a tank her whole life I got this idea about an outdoor enclose i live in southern california do would you guys recommend it with the weather here and rain and stuff or would it be too much for her? i also plan on getting her a friend. in particular a smaller species like her would another russian tortoise or box turtle be a good companion? thank you :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.