Russian Tortoise and Humidity at Night

TaylorG.

Today I got my first russian tortoise named Kobe. He is currently living in a 45 gallon glass terrarium with a screen top. His temperatures and humidity levels are fine during the day, but I am concerned about his humidity level at night. I keep my house at 78 degrees F and I read that temps can drop as low as 70 degrees F for russians at night, so currently Kobe does not have a night heat lamp. Right now his temp is sitting at 80, but his humidity sky rocketed from 40% to 75% within a few hours. I was wondering if this is normal or if not what I can do about it? Thanks everyone!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Is he a baby or an adult? Adults do not need the humidity levels that babies do. and Russians do not need the high humidity levels that baby Sulcatas do.

TaylorG.

I'm not 100% sure. I got him from petco. I am assuming he is a young adult. I just do not understand why the humidity is going up like this at night when his heat lamp is off.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have no idea why the humidity goes up at night. but if you came from Petco then he is an adult, no real way of telling how old. Maybe five or 10 years at least. @Tom should be able to answer the question about the humidity.

Nathan.

I would think that your humidity levels are going up at night because, you turn all of your lamps off. The humidity probably gets burnt off by your lights/the heat coming from those lights during the day. I'm new to this as well though so don't take that to heart.