Russian tortoise behaviour

Location (City and/or State)
Exeter
Hi
I need some advise. I have a Russian tortoise who is 7 months old and is female. When I first got her she was very active and quite socialable. This week she's been very moody and not very active apart from easting then she sleeps alot.

When she was ceryy active she would do things like - climbing, digging, paddling in water bowl, and would be wondering around. And now she's lazy lol. She even used to be up waiting by food bowl every morning. And now she's not getting up til almost mid day unless I encourage her.

This this normal? Is it because our season is changing to spring\summer? I've had to change the basking buld to 75 watt because it was to hot because it's getting warmer out side, but now it seems she's not happy?. I'm a new owner needing to know what's up.

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to a fellow Brit :)

At 7 months you will have no idea whether your tortoise is male or female. They all appear female outwardly until they are sexually mature and you have another 3 or 4 years to go for that.

The usual problem with changes in activity is temperatures not being right.

Please can you post photos of your enclosure and lighting so we can see what is going on?

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Exeter
Hello and welcome to a fellow Brit :)

At 7 months you will have no idea whether your tortoise is male or female. They all appear female outwardly until they are sexually mature and you have another 3 or 4 years to go for that.

The usual problem with changes in activity is temperatures not being right.

Please can you post photos of your enclosure and lighting so we can see what is going on?

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
Wow those links are amazing. I am doing everything I'm meant to. But I think I might need to be more hands off. She/he does respond when I'm near tank talking and usually will wonder over. She has water dish with stone to get out, she has a hide I use top soil, I moisten tank. Goes outside when warm enough. I'm careful on food. I use calcium. Temperature is fine. I've not had rt long so maybe still settling in.

Will give the pill bug a try though.. As got little flies which annoy me. I'll add pics tomorrow.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you got a digital temperature gun yet?
They're great for spot checking the 4 temperatures at tortoise level and more reliable than the ones pet stores normally supply.
Pics would help members spot anything that could be affecting your tort's behaviour.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow those links are amazing. I am doing everything I'm meant to. But I think I might need to be more hands off. She/he does respond when I'm near tank talking and usually will wonder over. She has water dish with stone to get out, she has a hide I use top soil, I moisten tank. Goes outside when warm enough. I'm careful on food. I use calcium. Temperature is fine. I've not had rt long so maybe still settling in.

Will give the pill bug a try though.. As got little flies which annoy me. I'll add pics tomorrow.

The hands off comment is interesting. They aren’t social creatures and don’t like a lot of handling. They are happiest and healthiest with all 4 feet on the floor of their enclosure - an environment that has the correct temperatures and humidity and where everything is known.

Many tortoises do not handle change well, so taking them out to roam the floor or for cuddles makes them afraid and they hide away.

Calcium only needs a very tiny pinch three times a week. No more as you can overdo it.

Babies like this are not big enough to stay warm long and should stay in their closed chamber until they are much bigger. Then they only get outside time in a secure enclosure (Russians are master escape artists) on the very warmest days until they are adult. It’s far too cold for outside time yet even for bigger torts.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Make sure your temps are right, it being too hot or cold will effect their activity. I have noticed my female is a bit more lazy these days I think she is depressed she's indoors which will change soon once the weather breaks.

Exeter
My tort is in a better mood today. After all I said she's back to what she was like when I first got her. She's actually wanted attention Today following me up and down her enclosure. She's been climbing and I've rearranged her enclosure and made some tunnels for her and she's shown real interest. So I guess it's like any person or animal we all have off days. And behaviour is based on how we feel. I guess I'm over worrying and need to relax and let her be how she wants to be.