Russian tortoise Crystal in shell - jewelry on tortoise

Ladyshark

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte Nc
Strange question but i had seen a tortoise with a swarovski crystal glued to the tortoises (don’t know the species) shell. One crystal near their tail but on their shell. It’s was so cute and she was being boarded at a reptile store so she was very healthy and cared for. But it striked my interest because it was so cute! It wasn’t big. It looks like it was super glued. Just one crystal near her tail/booty. I have a Russian tortoise and thought about doing it but would like some perspective before I do. Idk if it would be irritating to my Russian or would be inhuman. The tortoise that had it seemed unphased. I even asked the people at the reptile store and they were like idk 🤷🏻‍♀️. So can I do it? Is there a specific type of glue that is acceptable? Or would is just irritate my tortoise? Or is it a - no let it go?

Ps I would be open minded to use the same procedure as like when you place tooth gems or braces on your teeth but for tortoise gem.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now, if you wanted to glue a tacking device, so you could find your tortoise should he get lost, I'm for that, as that would be for a good reason and in the interest of the tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone posted a picture the other day of a red ear slider that had something glued to its shell when it was a hatchling. The shell with the glue never grew while the rest of the shell grew around it. The turtle was extremely deformed. Unless you know what you're doing DO NOT GLUE ANYTHING TO A TURTLE/TORTOISE SHELL!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Someone posted a picture the other day of a red ear slider that had something glued to its shell when it was a hatchling. The shell with the glue never grew while the rest of the shell grew around it. The turtle was extremely deformed. Unless you know what you're doing DO NOT GLUE ANYTHING TO A TURTLE/TORTOISE SHELL!
I saw that and thought it was some kinda AI fake!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tortoises are beautiful enough naturally without humans forcing their ideas of "enhancement" on them while they are helpless to stop us or tell us they don't want or need it and it will damage them.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Strange question but i had seen a tortoise with a swarovski crystal glued to the tortoises (don’t know the species) shell. One crystal near their tail but on their shell. It’s was so cute and she was being boarded at a reptile store so she was very healthy and cared for. But it striked my interest because it was so cute! It wasn’t big. It looks like it was super glued. Just one crystal near her tail/booty. I have a Russian tortoise and thought about doing it but would like some perspective before I do. Idk if it would be irritating to my Russian or would be inhuman. The tortoise that had it seemed unphased. I even asked the people at the reptile store and they were like idk 🤷🏻‍♀️. So can I do it? Is there a specific type of glue that is acceptable? Or would is just irritate my tortoise? Or is it a - no let it go?

Ps I would be open minded to use the same procedure as like when you place tooth gems or braces on your teeth but for tortoise gem.
Hi!

This photo has been referenced above:
I don't know what kind of glue was it and decoration weight. But it's something to keep in mind. If your tortoise is still actively growing - don't do that.

I wouldn't say it's inhumane - unlikely your tortoise will ever notice it. But it would be strange to see some glamour on all-terrain dirt-covered hard-shelled guy coming out of its burrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Its not something I would do, but if done correctly, it won't do any harm.

1. Use tortoise safe glue.
2. Don't get any glue on the growth seams. Keep it in the middle of the scute.
3. Use something large enough that the tortoise can't swallow or choke on it when it falls off, and it will eventually fall off.

It seems an unnecessary risk to me, but if that is how someone wants to enjoy their chelonian pet, its none of my business. I would just caution: keep it safe.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
As said person who posted that photo of the poor turtle, I second that the thought of anything being glued to a growing tortoise makes me worry😣
I think even in this case, if the tortoise is fully grown, it’s still not a good idea, even if the gem were theoretically big enough not to be swallowed whole, there’s no telling if the tortoise could crack it with their beak and potentially swallow a very sharp piece of plastic!
I’d steer clear from this, and honestly any pet store gluing gems to their tortoise, gives me the same vibes as whoever the idiots are that put that horrible stuff on that turtle.

Tracking devices are one thing, but I think the tortoise’s entire shell should be able to have uv light, one small patch when the tortoise is grown won’t make a difference, but I wouldn’t want anything covering my tortoises shell for the sake of it being decoration, no matter how small.

Ladyshark

Charlotte Nc
Its not something I would do, but if done correctly, it won't do any harm.

1. Use tortoise safe glue.
2. Don't get any glue on the growth seams. Keep it in the middle of the scute.
3. Use something large enough that the tortoise can't swallow or choke on it when it falls off, and it will eventually fall off.

It seems an unnecessary risk to me, but if that is how someone wants to enjoy their chelonian pet, its none of my business. I would just caution: keep it safe.
Thank you.

Ladyshark

Charlotte Nc
Just remembering JoJo...! The only GOOD reason to "glue anything to a tortoise"!
Appreciate your opinion. You don’t know me so please stop judging.
Hi!

I don't know what kind of glue was it and decoration weight. But it's something to keep in mind. If your tortoise is still actively growing - don't do that.

I wouldn't say it's inhumane - unlikely your tortoise will ever notice it. But it would be strange to see some glamour on all-terrain dirt-covered hard-shelled guy coming out of its burrow.
Thank you for sharing. this is very extreme situation
Tortoises are beautiful enough naturally without humans forcing their ideas of "enhancement" on them while they are helpless to stop us or tell us they don't want or need it and it will damage them.
im not forcing my “enchantment” I asked for a perspective and you sure gave me that.

Ladyshark

Charlotte Nc
Hi!

Yea I don’t know how to
You could research how people attach id tags on tortoises, but I do think that attaching gems is unnecessary and thus shouldn't be done.
thank you for being kind and giving me a perspective.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Ummm ...On this forum we accept others opinions especially when we asked for them. @TammyJ was referring to a procedure to help a tortoise with a severely broken Plastron named Jo Jo. In my opinion she is 100% right, there is Good reasons to Glue things to a tort and there are Bad reasons to Glue things to a tortoise. It seems the only judging going on is by you! I wish your tort the best of luck in your care.