Russian Tortoise Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey TFO!

Ok I have a question...well more like..Im asking for opinions. Ok, I purchased my female russian back in 2004. When I first purchased her, I had no idea; what a tortoises diet consisted of?. She use to hunt (yes, hunt) for earthworms in the backyard (she still might?). So I started buying meal worms (Before finding out too much protein is bad). Currently, she is grazing on San Agustin grass..eating all the weeds and random wild flower that pop up (seasonally) grape leaves and cactus pads. And I use to find her in the dog bowl! She has no health issues she is strong as an ox ( Ask candy). What is an adequate diet? Since I made all these "Mistakes" and yet she has no pyramiding or a soft shell. She is has been hibernating on her own outside for the past 4 years..she is practicly a Wild Tortoise. Oh yeah I almost forgot she is still growing (She is currently 7 inches plus and growing).

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Take a look at russiantortoise.org diet page. A natural diet is best--if you have a chemical free yard, let her graze on all the grass and weeds and greens she wants. You can look at that website for weeds to buy to scatter for more variety. Plant some edible flowers like roses, pansies, hibiscus. Grape leaves and cactus are great. I would never offer animal protein to a russian. If she decides to hunt bugs in the garden, as long as they are from an organic yard, so be it (that is not unheard of with russians). Its rare for a russian to pyramid, and the few that I have seen in photos on the forum were likely due to very very poor diets (dog food and such, not the occasional worm). She wouldn't have made it past hatchling stage if she had a soft shell. That is great she lives outside and is practically wild! As long as the yard is safe from predators, you provide heat if needed, water, shade, etc, it is the best way to raise a tort. Please keep the dog food and the dogs away from her. She shouldn't even be allowed to graze where the dogs are allowed as if she gets a hold of dog poop the parasites in it, or even worse, any meds the dog take, can be deadly. I'd get her a yearly fecal test for parasites (I recommend this for all torts).

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
Take a look at russiantortoise.org diet page. A natural diet is best--if you have a chemical free yard, let her graze on all the grass and weeds and greens she wants. You can look at that website for weeds to buy to scatter for more variety. Plant some edible flowers like roses, pansies, hibiscus. Grape leaves and cactus are great. I would never offer animal protein to a russian. If she decides to hunt bugs in the garden, as long as they are from an organic yard, so be it (that is not unheard of with russians). Its rare for a russian to pyramid, and the few that I have seen in photos on the forum were likely due to very very poor diets (dog food and such, not the occasional worm). She wouldn't have made it past hatchling stage if she had a soft shell. That is great she lives outside and is practically wild! As long as the yard is safe from predators, you provide heat if needed, water, shade, etc, it is the best way to raise a tort. Please keep the dog food and the dogs away from her. She shouldn't even be allowed to graze where the dogs are allowed as if she gets a hold of dog poop the parasites in it, or even worse, any meds the dog take, can be deadly. I'd get her a yearly fecal test for parasites (I recommend this for all torts).

Thank You. That was alot of good info. We dont spray anything in the backyard, because of her. I've wanting to get a fecal test..how expensive is it?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Great! My vet charges $15. Some places may require that they have at least seen the tortoise in the past to do the test, or will require to see the tort if its positive so they can get a weight and check for symptoms and such, so you may have to pay for a check up too ($40-80 is what I've heard, my vet charges $50). Otherwise you can just drop off the poop and they will call you with any results so you can pick up meds (based on the torts weight, the average meds for a parasite might cost $15-$25 from my experience). I like getting yearly fecal tests done (or for a new tort, one right away and one 3-4 months later, and then yearly) so you know if there are any parasites infestations and what they are, rather than just doing preventative worming, which would only take care of any worms and not other parasites, and can be tough on their tummy. If you are a scientific person, you can get a microscope and a good reptile parasites book and do it yourself. Usually only cost effective if you have multiple torts though. Even my captive bred hatchling had two parasites his first year of life! No symptoms either. So, I'm definitely an advocate for the fecal test. You can put a sample in the fridge before you take it in, but within 24 hours is best to get it tested. My tort is happy to provide the vet a fresh sample whenever he goes in for his exam. :)

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
Great! My vet charges $15. Some places may require that they have at least seen the tortoise in the past to do the test, or will require to see the tort if its positive so they can get a weight and check for symptoms and such, so you may have to pay for a check up too ($40-80 is what I've heard, my vet charges $50). Otherwise you can just drop off the poop and they will call you with any results so you can pick up meds (based on the torts weight, the average meds for a parasite might cost $15-$25 from my experience). I like getting yearly fecal tests done (or for a new tort, one right away and one 3-4 months later, and then yearly) so you know if there are any parasites infestations and what they are, rather than just doing preventative worming, which would only take care of any worms and not other parasites, and can be tough on their tummy. If you are a scientific person, you can get a microscope and a good reptile parasites book and do it yourself. Usually only cost effective if you have multiple torts though. Even my captive bred hatchling had two parasites his first year of life! No symptoms either. So, I'm definitely an advocate for the fecal test. You can put a sample in the fridge before you take it in, but within 24 hours is best to get it tested. My tort is happy to provide the vet a fresh sample whenever he goes in for his exam. :)

Im going to look into it. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.