Russian tortoise diet

amenezes

Location (City and/or State)
Torrance, CA
I am sorry if this has been posted but I am not able to find it. I am soon to adopt a 20yr old Russian tortoise. I can find tons of items that they CAN eat, but is there a list of things they can't? I want to make sure I don't have anything in my backyard that could be toxic to him.
Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found the Tortoise Table app mentioned in a post and downloaded it, it gives me what I was looking for. Thanks
Most of the care info you find will be wrong too. Here is the right care info:

amenezes

Torrance, CA
Hi Tom, yes I read your post, but I am looking for information on what he CAN'T eat. I wanted to know if something that I have in the garden, flowers, could be toxic. Let's say I wanted to gift him a plumbago flower? LOL The app says it's toxic, same with a hydrangea flower or a plumeria...it could be wrong but I would rather not risk it. Otherwise I will have to message you every time I want to give him a new flower! LOL Not that I would be making that his regular diet but I'm looking for ways to not kill him by accident or good intentions.... that is all. But yes your page has what I am looking for in terms of his regular diet. Good for me I have a garden where I have some of that already and now I will be planting other things. Thank you! I am hoping to get this little guy this weekend.

amenezes

Torrance, CA
Unless I misunderstood and your page means I can give him ANY flower despite what the app says. If that's the case, then that would be cool! I got a few.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I found the Tortoise Table app mentioned in a post and downloaded it, it gives me what I was looking for. Thanks
Welcome to tortoise parenthood!

The Tortoise Table tends to be conservative in its feeding recommendations, but you won’t go wrong following them.

Best of luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unless I misunderstood and your page means I can give him ANY flower despite what the app says. If that's the case, then that would be cool! I got a few.
A list of what you can't/shouldn't feed them would be enormous.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just do not give them anything not on the list of recommended food! You then cannot go wrong.