Russian tortoise environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
I have read that Russian tortoises are prone to developing respiratory infections in humid climates. Is this true? Also, do Russians require an overnight cool-down period, or do they do okay without it? We live in Colorado, where the humidity is low and nights are cool - just like in the steppes of Eurasia where this species comes from - but I have seen them in other states, and I wonder if they do well there.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
All this about their habitat in my opinion is near to useless, because if its been bred in captivity the conditions could be warme, cooler, wetter, drier etc.

For eg, my russians still have their heat lamps on because they wont get up and eat and its around the 27ºc here, The same goes for the one at work.

The humidity level i keep mine at is about 40%.

I have been to colorado, beautiful place, anyway i am not sure what your temps are like out there, i know it can be very cold or really warm and thats it... :cool:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Here where I live in the Northeastern U.S. my Russian tortoises are exposed to constantly changing and often extreme weather changes. Generally speaking, it's cool and damp here for most of the year except during late June through early September. But there have been plenty of summer days in past years where the temperatures were in the low 60's and weeks of rain. Today it's 90 degrees, unusually hot for us. Tonight we're supposed to have severe thunderstorms. Tomorrows daytime high is forecast at 62 degrees! My point being that I've kept Russians (and all other Testudo) just fine in these conditions with adequate shelter from the extremes. Typically days here are in the 70's throughout the summer, night down into the 50's but the humidity varies greatly which can really change the moisture content or lack of it in the ambient air.
I do think that most captive born tortoises that I've had experience with are far more adaptable to extremes. Most of the wild caught animals that I have or have had, if they're healthy, do just fine. They simply stay in their shelters and wait out the bad weather. I don't live in a constant, extremely humid climate. But I do live in a climate that can vary greatly from day to day and where cool, damp conditions are common. I've never had a respiratory issue with a Russian tortoise.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have never had a Russian come in with respiratory problems, Greeks I have had plenty, But that's because they have been to dry conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.