Confused about humidity for Russian Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
I am confused about a Russian's humidity requirements. I know that they do not need high humidity such as redfoots, and indeed high humidity along with cool weather can cause respiratory infections. There seems to be a lot of differing, sometimes conflicting, information.

Some people say to keep humidity at 50%. Some say not to worry about it. Some mist the enclosure every morning. Some pour water and soak the enclosure every week or so.

She is about 3.5 months old and has a humid hide and I soak her in warm water everyday. She is eating like a champ, pooping well, bright, curious (actually make that nosy) and alert, so I think she is doing well.

Any information you have is much appreciated. I want to do what is best for her. Thank you

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
If she has a humid hide, I wouldn't worry too much about the overall humidity. But since she is only three months old, she is still small enough where she should still have some humidity. Maybe 50% is a good place to start.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
It sounds like you are doing fine!

You will see a variety of opinions. :rolleyes:
Young/hatchling Russian tortoises can have the same conditions as adults, but should probably be soaked more often because they can dehydrate more easily, just because they have less surface area (which is what you are doing!).
A good substrate like organic topsoil mixed with coir will hold moisture in the under layers well, where she/he will burrow.
Spraying an enclosure adds little to the humidity unless you do it several times per day, because it evaporates so quickly, especially under the basking/MVB bulb. But adding water to the substrate and mixing (often enough to keep the under layers moist) is quite effective.
Try pouring some water under the basking area and watch how soon the surface is dry (which is the only area affected by misting), but how the under layers are still moist.
Putting a few plants (keep them in pots and submerge in the soil), will add moisture as well, and provide places to hide. Spider plants work well. The humid hide provides a nice option, too.
I think if you have a healthy tortoise, don't worry. And most don't worry about measuring humidity as long as conditions are right.
Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.