Russian tortoise - external parasites?

Hi. Im worried that my little tortoise has parasites. He has these weird black dots right about his head area in his neck but I'm not sure what it is. Please help I'm really worried. He eats slot but he also sleeps. When I take him outside he lives to play but when he's inside, he sleeps ALOT. But anyways, I don't know if those are parasites or something else. Is it normal? He is also making a puffing sound through his nose like he is pushing air out. He doesn't have any snot and he doesn't squeal image.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
That all looks normal to me :)

As you said the breathing is normal too. A tort cannot expand its chest when it breathes like you can due to its shell... these sudden huffs are normal along with the head and legs bobbing when a tort is relaxed :)

Enjoy your tort :)

I also have a question. I don't really know how to post my own thing on this website so I'm going to post on this. Does my RT have parasites? He has these black little dots right below his head on his neck and I'm worried. If it isn't parasites, what is it? And should I be worried?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell from a picture, but it just looks like colored skin to me (freckles??)

Thanks! Also, when I hold him, it sounds like he's s bones are rubbing together or something I just want him to be okay.:tort::<3:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Can't see anything in the photo to worry about.
Just looks like markings to me.
And what you describe seems perfectly normal.
When you pick up a tortoise the internal organs can move about, this is your 'bones rubbing', I should think.
Try to keep him horizontal, if at all possible, when you pick him up.

Last edited:
Also, his skin is peeling. People say it's because they're dehydrated but I soak him in warm water for 20 mins a day. I have been doing that for 2 weeks now. I don't know why. Do you think it needs more time to go back to normal?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Do you mean the little bit of skin at the top, bac of his neck near the head ?
That's tiny and may be caused by a rub on his carapace, again nothing to worry about .
Or is there other peeling ?
It's probably okay, but remember we are just giving advice from experience with our own torts and what we see daily on here.
We are not vets.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Like a little in his leg and his next. But if it's just scrapes they will heal. Thank you so much. It really helped.
That's normal. All animals shed skin.

You shed skin in tiny bits that are house dust. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Torts shed skin in phases as they grow and age and look downright tatty at times.

Please don't worry about that either. It is completely normal :)

Kasia

Poland
I also have a question. I don't really know how to post my own thing on this website so I'm going to post on this. Does my RT have parasites? He has these black little dots right below his head on his neck and I'm worried. If it isn't parasites, what is it? And should I be worried?

View attachment 185784
He is shedding:) no worries:) normal tortie stuff:) no parasites either, normal skin color:)