Russian tortoise growth rate?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I got a Russian in Petco two years ago which is later considered wild caught in this forum. And someone helped me guess that she is 4-10 years old now. When I bought her, her length is around 11.5 cm. She doesn’t eat commercial tortoise food, like Mazuri or Zoo med, no matter it is in the moisture format or powder format. She eats very little weeds. Usually she will make one or two bite and then stop eating. She eats some vegetables like endive, lettuce, dandelion greens, arugula but will not touch Kale or mustard green. She also doesn’t eat grasses

currently I make the Mazuri to powder. Put the Mazuri powder and the dry food bought from tortoise supply and Kapidolo farms on top of the vegetables she eats. But I am not sure how much she eats the dry food and Mazuri. When she eats the vegetables. The vegetable leaves will shake and the Mazuri powder and the dry food will drop and she will not touch them.

not sure it is because of the diet or it is the nature of Russian tortoise. She growth very slow. She only grows about 8 mm in the past 2 years.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Have you tried wetting the greens, then putting the powder on? The powder should stick to the wet food.

Maybe she is old enough that she will not grow much more?

qiangzhu

Washington
I heard
Have you tried wetting the greens, then putting the powder on? The powder should stick to the wet food.

Maybe she is old enough that she will not grow much more?
I heard female Russian tortoise can grow at least 6 inches (15cms)?