Russian tortoise has stopped eating

molly.watkins

Location (City and/or State)
georgia
I have had my Russia tortoise for about 4 years now, and she has stopped eating. She had never done this before. I have tried fruits,vegetables, and mealworms. I am extremely worried

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What temperature is her enclosure at? They need to be warm to digest food

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Does she have a basking spot- should be 95-100 at her height. Also how big the enclosure? 74 is a good cool side and overnight temp.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Oh the size of the enclosure may play a factor. An adult Russian should have a 4’x8’ enclosure. The exercise around the enclosure also aids in digestion. Have you soaked her lately and what are her poops like?

Sa Ga

MN
She should NEVER have animal protein (insects, meat, dog/cat food, etc.). This can destroy her kidneys and lead to chronic kidney disease, for which there is no cure.

How long has she not been eating now? Is she drinking? Dehydration is more dangerous than a brief pause in eating. Is she still active?

Soak her for at least 30 min daily and take her to an experienced reptile Vet if she still won't eat, isn't passing urine/stool, not active or weak.

molly.watkins

georgia
Oh the size of the enclosure may play a factor. An adult Russian should have a 4’x8’ enclosure. The exercise around the enclosure also aids in digestion. Have you soaked her lately and what are her poops like?
I have been soaking her for 45 minutes each day. she still has solid poop. Sh isn’t very active she burrows into her bedding.

molly.watkins

georgia
She should NEVER have animal protein (insects, meat, dog/cat food, etc.). This can destroy her kidneys and lead to chronic kidney disease, for which there is no cure.

How long has she not been eating now? Is she drinking? Dehydration is more dangerous than a brief pause in eating. Is she still active?

Soak her for at least 30 min daily and take her to an experienced reptile Vet if she still won't eat, isn't passing urine/stool, not active or weak.
she is not drinking anything. I soak her 45 minutes each day. She hasn’t eaten in about 4 days i’ve tried hand feeding her she just won’t eat. I took her to a vet and they said to try mealworms. she just isn’t interested in eating.

Sa Ga

MN
she is not drinking anything. I soak her 45 minutes each day. She hasn’t eaten in about 4 days i’ve tried hand feeding her she just won’t eat. I took her to a vet and they said to try mealworms. she just isn’t interested in eating.

You need a different Vet. They clearly don't know Russian torts. Unfortunately, different breeds of torts have VERY different nutritional and environmental needs, differences that can be life threatening if not met correctly. It's easy for people/inexperienced vets to assume it's a one-size-fits-all care for them. That's why it is VITAL to find a truly Russian tort-knowledgeable vet.

Check Google and see if there is a Herpatological Society in your area that can recommend a GOOD Russian tort vet. They can provide supportive care and teach you how (like tibe feeding) while they treat/ diagnose the problem.

Move quickly and keep us posted!

(Where are you? I'm in MN. If you are near the Twin Cities area, I can't recommend more highly my vet, Dr. Amy Kizer. She is one of the vets on staff at Sea Life in the Mall of America and saved my baby's life!)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Was she captive or wild born. Most pet store Russians are wild caught. Thus the need to bruminate is more evident. Keep up the soaks and maybe add some carrot juice. Just keep pulling her out and putting her in front of the food. Sorry bed time for me I will check back in the morning

molly.watkins

georgia
You need a different Vet. They clearly don't know Russian torts. Unfortunately, different breeds of torts have VERY different nutritional and environmental needs, differences that can be life threatening if not met correctly. It's easy for people/inexperienced vets to assume it's a one-size-fits-all care for them. That's why it is VITAL to find a truly Russian tort-knowledgeable vet.

Check Google and see if there is a Herpatological Society in your area that can recommend a GOOD Russian tort vet. They can provide supportive care and teach you how while they treat/ diagnose the problem.

Move quickly and keep us posted!

(Where are you? I'm in MN. If you are near the Twin Cities area, I can't recommend more highly my vet, Dr. Amy Kizer. She is one of the vets on staff at Sea Life in the Mall of America and saved my baby's life!)
Thank you so much. I live in GA i’ll definitely find a new vet, and get her treated properly!! I couldn’t imagine life without her!

Sa Ga

MN
Thank you so much. I live in GA i’ll definitely find a new vet, and get her treated properly!! I couldn’t imagine life without her!
Amazing how much we can love the little guys, isn't it? Best wishes and do keep us posted!!!

molly.watkins

georgia
Was she captive or wild born. Most pet store Russians are wild caught. Thus the need to bruminate is more evident. Keep up the soaks and maybe add some carrot juice. Just keep pulling her out and putting her in front of the food. Sorry bed time for me I will check back in the morning
I got her from a pet store. she is about 15 years old though.