Russian tortoise housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I'm new to getting housing right. Currently my Russian tortoise lives in a 20 long tank. And I know this is VERY small but I take him outside often but I hope to have a nice outdoor enclosure for him next summer, I know I saw a 'playpen' by zoo med out on the market I wanted to know if anyone here has used one, also if you think it would be better to just build one myself, and if so how?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, build one yourself. How about this summer?
Do you have a site picked out that gets sun in the am and part of the afternoon, with some afternoon shade too? Make sure it keeps some sun and shade most of the warm months.

You can use concrete blocks. Two- three levels, make sure they are staggered for stability. Place plastic garden fencing underneath first. When the walls are up, cap the corners. Back fill with untreated garden soil.

Have you scrolled through the enclosure section? Start at the beginning and work your way to the first page. Lots of good ideas.

smarch

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I unfortunately don't have the money this summer, and I've been reading alot if other owners enclosures, and it won't be too hard to make I just have to find the right spot, my yard is big enough! I also live on a lake but he doesn't like the water since its usually wavey and there's not much shore this year. But I'd put the enclosure closer to the lake since that's where shade and sun would be. How much do you think a well built enclosure would cost to build?

Status
Not open for further replies.