Russian Tortoise Not Eating

AuntCathytofive

Location (City and/or State)
Albrightsville
My 2 year old male RT, Franklin, hasn't been eating much and he doesn't poop unless I soak him. I tried all kinds foods from Tortoise Table, but I try to feed him veggies like kale, red and green leaf lettuce, romaine, radicchio and endive, etc. He lives in a Zoomed Tortoise house, which I plan to upgrade and I use ecoearth as substrate. I have a 75 W basking bulb and 100 watt heat emitter for the winter months. The UVB I use are 2 T8 ReptiSun 10.0 linear fluorescent bulbs. I want to take him outside, but the weather hasn't been good. His eyes are clear and I do not see any discharge from his nose. I wanted to reach out to the group for advice on how I can stimulate his appetite before I take him to a vet. Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I had the same issue with one of my Russians too, the temps were good so it was more of what was being fed issue. They need lots of fiber from broadleaf weeds. Now that the weeds are plentiful I started giving them more of that and less of the grocery store stuff I supplement with in the winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you had him long? Some tortoises don't recognize food as food when you offer something different from what they're used to eating.

AuntCathytofive

Albrightsville
I had the same issue with one of my Russians too, the temps were good so it was more of what was being fed issue. They need lots of fiber from broadleaf weeds. Now that the weeds are plentiful I started giving them more of that and less of the grocery store stuff I supplement with in the winter.
Thanks. I tried giving him a dandelion and some leaves but he just ignored it. He's a strange one since most of the other tortoises I've seem love them :(

Shuler24

Michigan
How long has this been going on? Anything changed in his environment? New surroundings, change items in his tortoise table?, etc?

AuntCathytofive

Albrightsville
How long has this been going on? Anything changed in his environment? New surroundings, change items in his tortoise table?, etc?

About 2 weeks. He does eat but not as much as he used to. Sorta picking at it. No changes in his environment. His eyes and nose are clear. No discharge. Could he be cold? Thx

Shuler24

Michigan
I’m not the expert here, but I know temps defiantly will impact their eating in my limited experience and what I’ve read on the forums. Hopefully one of the experts can weigh in, but if he is eating some, and pooping, and moving, could just be the cold weather? You said all the temps are right in his enclosure? His basking spot in 95-100? He has space too to walk around? That helps with digestion according to posts I’ve seen here.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Thanks. The thermometer says 75-80F on the cooler side with 50% humidity.

I have had 2 Russians (separate containers) for 9 years. They like it 85 degrees to eat. As soon as the temp lowers they go off food. I would try increasing the temps. Pooing in the bath is normal and nice, because you can use that water to fertilize your homegrown tort food plants.